Help me decide what to do about new chicks

Momsteader

In the Brooder
Apr 18, 2018
Traverse City Michigan
With my current flock of hens I started out with 4 Rhode island reds, they are just turning 2. I lost one during the summer and another one just before it started to snow here. The remaining 2 just seem lonely and I would like to get a couple new chicks, probably different breed, just because they are pretty. One of my girls tends to go broody a few times a year. I'm trying to decide how to go about getting new birds. My question is, is it possible to get 2 chicks and see if she will take to raising them? If I try letting her raise them, do you think breed matters? Or get the chicks and brooder indoors, then put them with the other 2 when they are older? Or would I be better off just culling the 2 that I have and starting all over, I want to avoid this if possible because I like them but could always use a bird or 2 in the freezer. I live in N. Michigan so obviously I would be adding a more cold hearty breed

If they go broody anyway, I would try to time it to buy hatching eggs and pop them under her. Fewer issues if she raises them herself.

You could also brood indoors and integrate as you said. It is a bit annoying, but if you plan on keeping chickens with no rooster you’ll need to do it eventually.

As far as culling goes, that’s up to you. It depends on if they’re friends or food! If you like their habits, though it is worth them teaching babies to keep them. For example, where their free range boundaries are, come when called, lap sit, etc etc.

If they go broody anyway, I would try to time it to buy hatching eggs and pop them under her. Fewer issues if she raises them herself.

You could also brood indoors and integrate as you said. It is a bit annoying, but if you plan on keeping chickens with no rooster you’ll need to do it eventually.

As far as culling goes, that’s up to you. It depends on if they’re friends or food! If you like their habits, though it is worth them teaching babies to keep them. For example, where their free range boundaries are, come when called, lap sit, etc etc.
Culling would be a last resort, I would like to do it with the least amount of pain in the assery as possible. 😆 There is no breaking her of her broodiness, I've tried it all. So I just let her do her thing, after I am pretty sure all eggs of the day are layed, I go and gently pull her out and set her on the ground so when she decides to go back to nest she has to pass food and water first. But she growls at me for doing it.

I've seen a red star hen go broody and adopt chicks that weren't hers. They were under a wire cage inside the coop, with just a few inches space for them to come and go underneath (our preffered method of brooding and integrating). She muscled her way inside the cage somehow and sat on them. Eventually we just took the barrier away. One downside to having a broody raise your chicks is that they end up a lot more skittish and antisocial. These ones wouldn't come anywhere near people and hung out in their own 'clique' apart from the other birds.

I've seen a red star hen go broody and adopt chicks that weren't hers. They were under a wire cage inside the coop, with just a few inches space for them to come and go underneath (our preffered method of brooding and integrating). She muscled her way inside the cage somehow and sat on them. Eventually we just took the barrier away. One downside to having a broody raise your chicks is that they end up a lot more skittish and antisocial. These ones wouldn't come anywhere near people and hung out in their own 'clique' apart from the other birds.
So maybe starting them inside to get used to people and dogs while watching for her to go broody might be a good plan.? My son turned 5 in Nov and he has been asking me when we are getting some new chicks because he really enjoying watching the last ones grow up but he was too young to really participate much but now he's older and is able to be more of a Hands-On participation. I was thinking of orpingtons or wydonettes.

If and when one of your girls go broody you could get fertle eggs and let her hatch, however remember, half of those chicks may be roosters.
Or, you could let her sit on golf balls for 2 or 3 weeks, then purchase a couple day old female chicks, and slip them under her at night and remove the golf balls.
My chickens are all pets so no culling of my hens, only extra roosters to keep peace in the barnyard.
Your hens, your choice.

I personally would get some hatching eggs of whatever breed(s) interest(s) the next time she's broody. It's so much easier. I have 16 in a brooder right now and 12 eggs under a broody. Brooder babies can be sweeter though, to be honest. I'd keep your older girls too, if it were me. My RIRs have been some of my sweetest girls -- I hate that they get such a bad rap.

Back
Top Bottom