help me diagnose my chick. thinking wry neck.

HaleyDurnin

In the Brooder
Feb 21, 2019
Tacoma, Washington
For a little over 24 hours I have been treating my 3 week old silkie chick for what I THINK is wry neck. Through observing her today though I am starting to wonder if its something else.
Her symptoms include:
*neck hanging between legs (but she has good moments were she can hold herself up fine!?)
*seizure like head shakes while its hanging
*breathing a TINY bit harder than usual.
*sleeping a lot
I guess I am wondering if this sounds like normal Wry Neck behavior or if anybody can think of anything else it could be?
My other question would be at 3 weeks old can I feed her something higher in proteins than the chick feed? If so will she need grit with it?
Thank you in advance.

Last edited:
For a little over 24 hours I have been treating my 3 week old silkie chick for what I THINK is wry neck. Through observing her today though I am starting to wonder if its something else.
Her symptoms include:
*neck hanging between legs (but she has good moments were she can hold herself up fine!?)
*seizure like head shakes while its hanging
*breathing a TINY bit harder than usual.
*sleeping a lot
I guess I am wondering if this sounds like normal Wry Neck behavior or if anybody can think of anything else it could be?
My other question would be at 3 weeks old can I feed her something higher in proteins than the chick feed? If so will she need grit with it?
Thank you in advance.
Hi @HaleyDurnin :frow Welcome To BYC

Can you post some photos of your chick or a video of her? (upload videos to youtube and provide us a link)

Does she eat/drink on her own?
What does her poop look like?
What are you using for treat of Wry Neck?

It does sound like she has wry neck or torticolis. They can have a twisted neck, sometimes in an “s” shape, put it down between the legs, or hold it upward toward the sky. Wry neck is just a symptom, usually neurological, that can be a result of genetics, a vitamin B1 or E deficiency, a head injury, and in older birds, can be a sign of certain diseases, such as Mareks and several others.

Usually treating with vitamins—400 IU of vitamin E, some thiamine (B1) in chicken vitamins or B Complex 1/4 tablet daily, and giving a small amount of cooked egg for selenium is helpful.

Help her eat 3-4 times a day to make sure that she is getting enough. Wet mushy chick feed mixed with water, and some bits of scrambled cooked egg are good.

Here are some pics of chicks with wry neck:
upload_2019-2-22_13-27-20.jpeg

It does sound like she has wry neck or torticolis. They can have a twisted neck, sometimes in an “s” shape, put it down between the legs, or hold it upward toward the sky. Wry neck is just a symptom, usually neurological, that can be a result of genetics, a vitamin B1 or E deficiency, a head injury, and in older birds, can be a sign of certain diseases, such as Mareks and several others.

Usually treating with vitamins—400 IU of vitamin E, some thiamine (B1) in chicken vitamins or B Complex 1/4 tablet daily, and giving a small amount of cooked egg for selenium is helpful.

Help her eat 3-4 times a day to make sure that she is getting enough. Wet mushy chick feed mixed with water, and some bits of scrambled cooked egg are good.

perfect ill make adjustments to her treatment right away.

This is her now. I guess i was just worried it was something else because she seems to be really depressed, sleeping a lot. And is she small for her age? or is that just a silkie thing? her feathers are coming in fine.
IMG-1245 (1).JPG

Attachments

• IMG-1245 (2).JPG
    IMG-1245 (2).JPG
    311.3 KB · Views: 3
Silkies are pretty small, and I think that all bantams can be a little frail the first few weeks compared to larger chicks. Are you using vitamins or some Poultry NutriDrench yet? PND is very good to give a few drops of to jumpstart a weak chick. If you haven’t, I would start at least some PND and then some vitamin E right away. Offer wet chick feed, and grind some up it it seems too big. You will need to wake her to water and feed her often. Is she under a heat lamp? Do you have her with other chicks for company? I would not separate her, at least all the time unless she is being trampled.

Silkies are pretty small, and I think that all bantams can be a little frail the first few weeks compared to larger chicks. Are you using vitamins or some Poultry NutriDrench yet? PND is very good to give a few drops of to jumpstart a weak chick. If you haven’t, I would start at least some PND and then some vitamin E right away. Offer wet chick feed, and grind some up it it seems too big. You will need to wake her to water and feed her often. Is she under a heat lamp? Do you have her with other chicks for company? I would not separate her, at least all the time unless she is being trampled.

I saw that at Wilco the other day and ALMOST grabbed it. Ill have to go back tomorrow when they are open and grab some. She is on Vitamin E and selenium. Started that treatment 48 hours ago. She is under a heat lamp and is still in the brooder with the other chicks, I just have her separated from them in a smaller box. They are able to see and hear each other, just not body contact with them because she will get trampled. The other girls are quite rowdy. Thank you for all the advice and input!

Back
Top Bottom