Help me, do i really need an incubator?

ging3rhoffman

Songster
10 Years
Feb 23, 2009
I have 20 hens now..do i need more? This chicken thing is an addiction!!! I now see chickens or even speckled eggs that i want in my egg basket. Is that reason enough to buy an incubator? I am really riding the fence on this one. I keep eyeballing the Hova Bator 1588 with auto egg turner. Someone hide this catalog from me. I asked the husband for help and he just says, if you want it, get it. Some help he is.

Is it easy to incubate? How do you know who to get eggs from. How much is there to learn? Do i just check the eggs with a lite tester and get rid of bad eggs and then the others hatch later.??

Help, what to do, what to do?
barnie.gif

I don't have or want one. Broodies for me; they raise the chicks themselves, and the chicks are healthier for it, I feel.

yuckyuck.gif
lol.png
I read post where people have trouble with the humidity at the end and i dont even know what a pip or zip is. I would probably kill them all. Someone on here told me the Genesis Hova Bator 1588 was almost full proof. Just plug in and go.

I do have a SLW Rooster but didnt know if he would go with any of my girls, except for the 2 SLW hens.

Would a SLW mix with, EE"S, RIR, Black Aussies, Buff Orpingtons, Welsummers and a white rock. Would any of you think these would make a good mix?

I am wanting to add more color to my egg basket. I actually want a speckled egg layer and a cream colored or white egg layer, so i thought i would have to order eggs to incubate.

Last edited:
Get it NOW!! I won't deter you in anyway, sorry. I have a Hova Bator 1590 and a 2362N. I love my 1590 because of the big window -- I can really hover!!
lol.png
It's so easy. Set eggs, add water, and mine stays exactly on 99.5. Get one of the hygrometers at Wally world for 5-6 bucks and you are set!! GO FOR IT!!!!

A pip is when the chicks pecks a tiny hole through the inner membrane and the shell to get air right before hatch. A zip is when they start to peck around the entire shell to pop the top off the egg.

For the post that says a Rooster is a man....

yuckyuck.gif
lau.gif
...Gee, what was i thinking!!
lol.png

Last edited:
I have three 1588s and a 1590 (the older version. I dropped kicked my old LG into the trash bin quite some time ago. Having one will not help your addiction to chicekns one bit!

One thing I would suggest is if you get one learn the ins and outs of incubating with your own eggs or some locally bought eggs. Shipped eggs have a whole lot going against them just from being shipped. Once you've got the local egg hatching figured out, then go for some shipped eggs.

Back
Top Bottom