Help me figure out if I have Roos or not. PLEASE!

teachchickmi

Chirping
Apr 28, 2024
Michigan
Hello there! Brand new to BYC and brand new (IMPATIENT) chicken mama. I am not allowed to have roos where I am located, so I want to figure them out ASAP so they can go to a lovely, new coop / family! :p

I have 6 chicks I got from TSC from pullet bins on March 10th, but you know how reliable those can be. I have taken pictures of them and might make a new thread with better pictures or add more here... but here they are. I am suspicious of one of the Silver Laced Wyandottes and one of the Black Sex Links (I know they should be properly sexed, but I'm nervous seeing the red!)

Thank you for helping me out! :)

tempImageJU43br.jpg

Suspect #1... not too sure about this one... keeps me guessing!

tempImage8fQIkT.jpg

Suspect #2... Black Sex Link... Looked a little red to me... not sure.

tempImageDPpojo.jpg

Close up of suspect #1.
tempImagejZjE5L.jpg

Are these all pullets? LOL

I am such a newbie. LOL Thanks for helping me out! lol

Attachments

• tempImagezSVImW.jpg
    tempImagezSVImW.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 12
  • tempImagecX8Yyh.jpg
    tempImagecX8Yyh.jpg
    706.4 KB · Views: 11
  • tempImageVTe3rw.jpg
    tempImageVTe3rw.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 10
  • tempImageQEWp5M.jpg
    tempImageQEWp5M.jpg
    706.4 KB · Views: 18
Suspect #2... Black Sex Link... Looked a little red to me... not sure.
An actual Black Sexlink male would have white barring on his feathers. That chicken is not a Black Sexlink male.

But if you are worried that it could be a male of some other kind: I do not think so. That looks like a female color pattern to me. For any male that can show both black and red/gold in his feathers, the red should be in different places.

An actual Black Sexlink male would have white barring on his feathers. That chicken is not a Black Sexlink male.

But if you are worried that it could be a male of some other kind: I do not think so. That looks like a female color pattern to me. For any male that can show both black and red/gold in his feathers, the red should be in different places.
I was reading that too. That the BSL males have white on their heads when they are little. I did not notice that. Thank you for easing my mind.

I was reading that too. That the BSL males have white on their heads when they are little. I did not notice that. Thank you for easing my mind.
Yes, the Black Sexlink males have white on top of their heads when they hatch. But as they grow their feathers, they also have white lines (barring) in their feathers. There is one gene (called the Barring gene) that causes the light headspot and the white barring in the feathers. Black Sexlinks come from a particular cross that makes only males have that gene, not their sisters. That is why they are called "sexlinks," because the color is linked with the sex of the chicks.

Yes, the Black Sexlink males have white on top of their heads when they hatch. But as they grow their feathers, they also have white lines (barring) in their feathers. There is one gene (called the Barring gene) that causes the light headspot and the white barring in the feathers. Black Sexlinks come from a particular cross that makes only males have that gene, not their sisters. That is why they are called "sexlinks," because the color is linked with the sex of the chicks.
Thank you for this clarification. I appreciate that!

Back
Top Bottom