Help me guess the sex of my silkies

lnhackford

Chirping
May 20, 2015
Salt Lake City, utah
I know they may be too young to sex, but I would really appreciate guesses. The first bird appears to have a bigger comb, and is over all larger in size that the second one. Let me know what you think :)

This is #1 (Alma) who I am guessing could be a rooster.

------------------------------------------------
Okay, now here is #2 (Pearl)

Thank you for looking, and like I said, any guesses are much appreciated!

Thank you! That is what I was assuming :) I have another silkie too that I'm unsure of, but she/he is a "runt" and is still so tiny it would be impossible to guess.

Was there anything besides the comb size that leads you to believe Alma is a roo?

Thank you! That is what I was assuming
smile.png
I have another silkie too that I'm unsure of, but she/he is a "runt" and is still so tiny it would be impossible to guess.

Was there anything besides the comb size that leads you to believe Alma is a roo?

He seems to be feathering a little more slowly than Pearl, but that probably isn't a very telling factor in the gender. Mostly, it was just the comb.

Oh okay. I just wasn't sure if there were any other tricks to it.

Thank you for confirming what I figured was true haha. I had to hear it from other people in order to fully believe it. I can't have a roo in the city, so we will have to give him up.

Thank you! That is what I was assuming
smile.png
I have another silkie too that I'm unsure of, but she/he is a "runt" and is still so tiny it would be impossible to guess.

Comb, and also the development of streamers while Pearl has a more rounded crest. My favorite (and probably the easiest) sexing method is by looking at the posture. Silkie cockerels have a much more upright posture than puklets.

Last edited:
Comb, and also the development of streamers while Pearl has a more rounded comb. My favorite (and probably the easiest) sexing method is by looking at the posture. Silkie cockerels have a much more upright posture than puklets. 

Thank you! I will keep all of this in mind for when my little runt silkie decides to catch up. I appreciate all of your help.

Back
Top Bottom