Help me identify this big parasite please

Hi,

I live in a subtropical rainforest in South America, so we have all the parasites folks up north have, plus a few nasty extras. I've been treating my birds for sticktight fleas, which we have outbreaks of twice per year. But I can predict it and developed methods of dealing with them.

But last night I was treating my handsome young cockerel Lucio. He has a big strawberry comb with lots of crevices and places for bugs to hide, and he was being quite good about being "preened", so I took off all the fleas with a toothbrush dipped in permethrin and started really getting into all the gaps and hiding places and pulled this big horrible critter hidden deep in one of the folds of his comb.

IMG_20230629_102947.jpg

IMG_20230629_103028.jpg

Doesn't look like a poultry tick. After I took these pictures I squished it and there was no blood inside. But clearly it liked being hosted by Lucio.

Has anyone seen this before or know what it is? It doesn't seem to match anything I've seen on a parasite ID chart.

IMG_20230611_080748.jpg

Lucio.

was it attached attached to him or just chillin? it kinda looks like a beetle but its hard to tell from the pics
It wasn't attached and wasn't filled with blood. I guess it just got comfy in his big comb. It did look beetle-ish. There's so many parasites here I get super vigilant every time I see a bug, I'm like, what the heck is this?? :th

Back
Top Bottom