Help me make my rooster feel like a brand new stud again!

tiktilaok

Chirping
Apr 18, 2021
Hello there.i have a lavender cuckoo orpington who has been celibate for quite some time.now. He is still in good condition, except for 1 blind eye from an accidental rooster fight.
I want to breed him again so he could leave some legacy. but the problem is, he lost his partner a few montha ago. Now, i dont know what hens should i put in with him that would somehow still produce good colors. currently have buff, red, chocolate and jubilee hens
Any suggestions? Opinions?

Out of those choices chocolate would be the only one I would use.
Lavender and chocolate are just dilute genes on black. Chocolate is sex linked so the cross will produce pullets that are black cuckoo but carry one lavender gene. That's as close as you're gonna get to lavender cuckoo with a cross.
The cockerels will also be black cuckoo and carry one lavender gene.
Barring is also sex linked so they will only have one barring gene and they'll need the second to breed true for barring in the future. They will also carry one chocolate gene which you'll have to deal with in future generations.

Oooh.... I see... I guess i wont be breeding their chicks. I will just hatch a few just so i could have his chicks in case i lose him. I believe he is a bit old. Cant really say exactly since we acquired him as a mature rooster.

Thank you very much! Really appreciate your quick responses

Out of those choices chocolate would be the only one I would use.
Lavender and chocolate are just dilute genes on black. Chocolate is sex linked so the cross will produce pullets that are black cuckoo but carry one lavender gene. That's as close as you're gonna get to lavender cuckoo with a cross.
The cockerels will also be black cuckoo and carry one lavender gene.
Barring is also sex linked so they will only have one barring gene and they'll need the second to breed true for barring in the future. They will also carry one chocolate gene which you'll have to deal with in future generations.
Hi there! Just to give you an update... I followed your advise, and now i have chicks!!! 😁😁
These are the 2 colors that i got.
I got black cuckoos, and the other color which i suppose are lavender cuckoos? I just picked 1 chick from each color.

Attachments

• IMG_20220125_140024.jpg
    IMG_20220125_140024.jpg
    310.2 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20220125_140024.jpg
    IMG_20220125_140024.jpg
    310.2 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20220125_140052.jpg
    IMG_20220125_140052.jpg
    304.8 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20220125_140034.jpg
    IMG_20220125_140034.jpg