Help me out?

Mmmaddie13

Songster
9 Years
Mar 5, 2011
Berthoud, CO
Hi everyone, this is my first time in the "quail" section, and I need a bit of guidance.

My father's boss wants me to hatch and raise some quail for him to let loose in the open space behind his house. He said he wants to feed them in the backyard.

So I will be getting about 50 eggs, and raising them until they're old enough to be outside. I will be hatching them late April, so the weather should be warmer, and they will be able to go outside as soon as they're ready, but I have no idea when that will be. 5 weeks? 8?

I will need to know what to feed them while they're growing, and then what my dad's boss will need to feed them after they're set free.

I really have no idea how to go about this, so I'm hoping for as much help as I can get. Thanks so much.

First off, you need to check with your fish and game department to see if it is legal to turn loose pen raise quail. It is illegal in the US to endanger wild populations of our native quail.

When do release these quail, you are probably sending them off to their deaths. Pen raised quail do not have the ability to survive or brood in the wild anymore. If you do not practice predator control, you will most likely loose them on the first or second night. Honestly.

What type of quail are you considering releasing?

Thank you, that is another thing I was concerned about. I will have him check the fish and game department to make sure that he is allowed to.

I am thinking it's more of a "free ranging" type situation, but I'm not entirely sure. It's difficult to communicate because all of the communication is done through my dad. I told him that if he wants them to be fed in his back yard that he will need a pen to keep them in to get acquainted to the land, I hope that is correct information. He wants to feed them from his back yard so I think that is what is making it more of a "free range" situation than a "set free" situation.

He wants Northern Bobwhite.

There is no such thing as free ranging quail. They will eventually disperse, if they survive.

Thanks, I did not know that.

I checked the wildlife division page, found this:

#009 - RELEASE OF TERRESTRIAL WILDLIFE
A. Except as allowed by these regulations it shall be unlawful for any person to release or
possess for release any species of wildlife (native or non-native). Provided further, that as
concerns licensed wildlife rehabilitators, possession and release of native species listed on
the Division prohibited list (#008(B)) must be pursuant to prior authorization in writing from the
Division. Such authorization may include restrictions regarding the location or timing of any
release.
B. Only the following live game birds may be released in Colorado: ring-necked pheasants,
Gambel's, scaled, and bobwhite quail, chukar, gray partridge, and mallard ducks. Release is
prohibited on public lands unless authorized in Chapter 9 of these regulations. Release is
prohibited during any established season for that species. Exceptions to this species list may
occur with the approval of the Director Division. Any exceptions, granted by the Director must
follow the criteria established by the Commission for the release of wildlife pursuant to this
subsection.
1. Up to 25 privately-owned game birds may be released on private land.
2. Privately-owned game birds may be released on State Wildlife Areas specifically
authorized for that purpose in #901 of these regulations. Up to 25 game birds may be
released for dog training. More than 25 game birds may be released for field trials
authorized under #801 of these regulations.
3 Privately-owned game birds may only be hunted on the day of release, and there is no
hunting license required except as required by #804 of these regulations. The total
number of game birds taken shall not exceed the number of birds released.
4. All released privately-owned game birds not taken by hunting on the day of release shall
become property of the state.
5. Such wildlife shall be accompanied by a receipt showing that the wildlife have been
lawfully acquired, to include the source and the purchase or acquisition date.
6. Migratory birds shall be banded with a USFWS band except for falconry activities
authorized by Chapter 6 of these regulations.
C. Except for falconry activities authorized by Chapter 6 of these regulations the release of
species and hybrids of raptors not native to Colorado is prohibited.

Back
Top Bottom