Help me sex a Buckeye and a SLW please? (6 Weeks)

speckledegg728

Chirping
Oct 14, 2016
Rural Ohio.
For a while now, I've had deep-rooted fears that two of the girls in my flock might not be girls at all, and I was hoping that I could get some more opinions on the matter from people with superior chicken knowledge. I love these chickens dearly, and if they ended being cockerels, I couldn't keep them. (A neighbor has offered to keep them if any of them DO turn out to be boys, but...it just won't be the same, you know?
hit.gif
)

The first in question is my Buckeye, Iroquois. She's the runt of the six, and at first we thought her slow feather development might have been a major sign that she was a cockerel and not a pullet--we read specifically about tail feathers being a big indicator, and the poor thing is only just developing a respectable tail. Now I'm not so sure. My personal opinion is that she's just a slow developer, and I've started her on some extra protein in her diet to nudge her along and hopefully help her catch up with her bigger, glossy, sisters, but I thought her gender was worth discussing just in case. She's my boyfriend's bird, and he loves her to pieces.

Normal picture of her from the side (See my Brahma peeking through from the pen? She thinks something special is going on, when in reality, it's a long and frustrating photo-shoot
gig.gif
)

A better view of the legs.

Top-down view.

View of the comb--or my best attempt. She was SO fed up with me. I hope it's clear enough. The comb is very small and colorless.

Next is my Silver Laced Wyandotte, Bertie. I don't have a ton of reason to suspect her, but her comb is a little worrisome; it's a good deal redder than anyone else's, and has developed a bump. Here are some pictures:

Normal side view of Bertie all tucked up neatly on my knee

Bertie's comb

Top down view

View of her legs

Bonus: this is what happens when your chicken gets fed up with all the pictures. (She then poops on you for good measure.)

I would really appreciate any input on these two lovely chickens! I'm probably just being paranoid, but like I said, I'm a first-timer, and any information you could give would be SO helpful. :) Thank you!

Thanks @Henny1129 :)

(How do you mention people in a post???, I tried but it didn't work)

Yep! It depends on whether you use mobile (phone) or desktop (computer). On mobile there are 4 different squares at the top of the reply box and the last one with the "at" (@) symbol is the one you click on. Then you type in the member's username (make sure you get all capitalizations and numbers right or it won't mention the right person) and it will "mention" that member. On desktop you can just type in the "at" (@) symbol and then the rest of the members username and it will automatically mention them. Hope this helps and isn't to confusing! :D

Ooh
Yep! It depends on whether you use mobile (phone) or desktop (computer). On mobile, there are 4 different squares at the top of the reply box and the last one with the "at" (@) symbol is the one you click on. Then you type in the member's username (make sure you get all capitalizations and numbers right or it won't mention the right person) and it will "mention" that member. On the desktop, you can just type in the "at" (@) symbol and then the rest of the member's username and it will automatically mention them. Hope this helps and isn't too confusing!
big_smile.png

I see what I did wrong... I wrote Henny with capital.

Thanks for the information!!!!

~ Julia

Back
Top Bottom