Help me understand humidity vs. lockdown

HeidiGetsChicks

Songster
Apr 15, 2023
It sounds like 65%-75% humidity during lockdown is somewhat standard, with some people choosing to go lower than that, correct?

How high is too high of humidity? And how do you mitigate too high of humidity without opening the incubator?

My incubator is in the 70-75% range humidity with barely any water (I'm using my own independent sensor that I trust) and then when the chick started hatching yesterday it kept shooting up to the 80% range. I had read anything above 75% suffocates the eggs that haven't hatched yet?

I'm struggling with this conflicting advice of "don't open the incubator" and "don't let humidity get too high" as well as "it's okay to open the incubator if your humidity is high" which has already resulted in one chick that needed a lot of assist to get out because its membranes dried out after zipping. How do I reconcile all this info to make good decisions?

humidity is humidity way i see it .. fact of life depending where you live .. i'll tell you what you dont want is a house thats sitting at 30% humidity or really cold and a bator thats sweltering at 90% humidity and open it for more than a few seconds, wind up shocking any living thing to death lol ... heres my bator as it sits right now like 80 humidity .. i open it to grab them out as they hatch .. house is at 80F and 60 humidity, yeah im hot and in FL .. but until im done for the evening i dont want to be running ac and lowering humidity .. get it? got it, good lol ...

Attachments

• 20230416_155043.jpg
    20230416_155043.jpg
    226.8 KB · Views: 13
  • 20230416_145818.jpg
    20230416_145818.jpg
    780.8 KB · Views: 12
My hatch method is too be consistent with temperature and humidity the whole way through. 40-45% humidity at 99.5 degrees. Too high or too low of humidity can drown the chicks, accidentally kill them, or cause birth defects. Humidity at 70% is pretty high as a humidity as that is what some people do for their lockdown temps. However, I have tried just about every way possible to incubate eggs and keeping everything steady at the humidity and temperature previously stated is what I'd try. When chicks hatch, I wait until most of them have hatched and are fully fluffed up to move them to the brooder. Opening it to move them shouldn't cause any problems but you don't want to open it for every chick that hatched but move a group at a time. 😊

Back
Top Bottom