How I Get 100% Hatch Rate on Chicken Eggs

byc_user

In the Brooder
Jun 22, 2023
Hello everyone. Firstly I would like to wish you all a Happy New Year!
In 2023, I started hatching eggs for the first time. I had a lot of bad hatches, but eventually I found out what worked the best. I was able to get 100% hatch rate on chicken eggs on the last few hatches. So long as the eggs were fertile and the egg shell wasn't so thin it broke, the chicks hatched healthy and happy. I read a lot of conflicting information online about hatching eggs, such as dry hatching (humidity 30-35%), using higher temperatures (101-102F), and spraying the eggs with 3% hydrogen peroxide before incubating. Some people even take duck and goose eggs out to cool each day, and spray the eggs with water. To me, this seems like the most ridiculous waste of time, and also very risky.
I know many people have had success with dry hatching, but for me it was a disaster. Chicks developed too small and ducklings were incredibly sticky when they hatched, almost caramelized. I also tired spraying duck eggs with hydrogen peroxide before incubation and they would develop but not hatch. I cannot rule it out scientifically, but now I try my best to leave the cuticle on the egg. I use hydrogen peroxide to disinfect the incubator, but I never spray the eggs the first week, and I try not to get too much one them when I am sanitizing the incubator.
The three main points are: a good incubator, temperature not too high, and lots of moisture. You will read that the chicks will hatch swollen if the humidity is too high, which is true, but they start shrinking to normal size immediately after hatching. The way I see it is that, the chick is made mostly of water, so it's better to have a bit too much water, than to not have enough for the chick to develop properly.
So after one year, here is my method to hatching eggs.

How I get 100% Hatch Rate on Chicken Eggs

• Using a Hovabator 2370 with an automatic egg turner.
  • Using a Kebonnix incubator for hatching. This is only needed for staggered hatching.
  • Using two Govee temperature/humidity thermometers. (They come in a 2-pack from Amazon).
  • The incubators are in the warmest room of the house.
  • The incubators are kept out of direct sunlight.
  • Using eggs less than 1 week old.
  • Using clean eggs. Use steel wool or a dry Scotch-Brite pad to clean any tiny spots off eggs. This is especially a problem with duck eggs. The spots hold bacteria and the duckling can develop but die during the last few days of its incubation from infection. Gently rub down the entire duck egg with a dry abrasive pad.
  • Cleaning any turds off the eggs with 3% hydrogen peroxide. Do not clean the entire eggs with hydrogen peroxide, only the spots.
  • Doing staggered hatches (hatching every week.)
  • Sanitizing the incubator every week by spraying it with 3% hydrogen peroxide. Sanitize the incubator before adding the new eggs each week.
  • Temperature of 99.5F in the incubators. If one corner of the incubator is 101F that is okay, but no area is below 99.5F.
  • Maintaining the humidity of the incubator to be at least 50%. If it goes below 50% humidity, add 3-4 tablespoons of water to the center of the tray in the Hovabator. The humidity may go as high as 70%, but this is fine.
  • Removing the eggs from the turners 3-5 days before the hatch date.
  • 60-70% humidity for the last few days of incubation. It's difficult to get over 60% humidity in the Kebonnix incubator before the eggs hatch, so I just keep the center tray completely full of water. The Kebonnix can go above 80% humidity once the eggs start hatching, so you may have to open it to let the moist air out. If the eggs were incubated in high humidity, they have a lot of moisture inside and they don't dry out as easily, so opening the incubator during "lockdown" is fine.
  • Writing down pip times for the eggs. Leaving 12 hours before assisting chickens and 24 hours before assisting ducks. (18-24 hours is recommended for chickens and 24-36 hours is recommended for ducks).

Be careful about opening the chick’s egg too early (assisted hatch). The chick can get yolk sack infection (omphalitis). The yolk sack can stop absorbing. Even if it absorbs, it can fail to heal properly. The chick can die up to 3 days later. If the chick did not hatch cleanly, put some Polysporin on the naval over the scab where the yolk sack absorbed.

Attachments

• 100_hatchrate_Internet.pdf
    411.1 KB · Views: 68
Hello everyone. Firstly I would like to wish you all a Happy New Year!
In 2023, I started hatching eggs for the first time. I had a lot of bad hatches, but eventually I found out what worked the best. I was able to get 100% hatch rate on chicken eggs on the last few hatches. So long as the eggs were fertile and the egg shell wasn't so thin it broke, the chicks hatched healthy and happy. I read a lot of conflicting information online about hatching eggs, such as dry hatching (humidity 30-35%), using higher temperatures (101-102F), and spraying the eggs with 3% hydrogen peroxide before incubating. Some people even take duck and goose eggs out to cool each day, and spray the eggs with water. To me, this seems like the most ridiculous waste of time, and also very risky.
I know many people have had success with dry hatching, but for me it was a disaster. Chicks developed too small and ducklings were incredibly sticky when they hatched, almost caramelized. I also tired spraying duck eggs with hydrogen peroxide before incubation and they would develop but not hatch. I cannot rule it out scientifically, but now I try my best to leave the cuticle on the egg. I use hydrogen peroxide to disinfect the incubator, but I never spray the eggs the first week, and I try not to get too much one them when I am sanitizing the incubator.
The three main points are: a good incubator, temperature not too high, and lots of moisture. You will read that the chicks will hatch swollen if the humidity is too high, which is true, but they start shrinking to normal size immediately after hatching. The way I see it is that, the chick is made mostly of water, so it's better to have a bit too much water, than to not have enough for the chick to develop properly.
So after one year, here is my method to hatching eggs.

How I get 100% Hatch Rate on Chicken Eggs

• Using a Hovabator 2370 with an automatic egg turner.
  • Using a Kebonnix incubator for hatching. This is only needed for staggered hatching.
  • Using two Govee temperature/humidity thermometers. (They come in a 2-pack from Amazon).
  • The incubators are in the warmest room of the house.
  • The incubators are kept out of direct sunlight.
  • Using eggs less than 1 week old.
  • Using clean eggs. Use steel wool or a dry Scotch-Brite pad to clean any tiny spots off eggs. This is especially a problem with duck eggs. The spots hold bacteria and the duckling can develop but die during the last few days of its incubation from infection. Gently rub down the entire duck egg with a dry abrasive pad.
  • Cleaning any turds off the eggs with 3% hydrogen peroxide. Do not clean the entire eggs with hydrogen peroxide, only the spots.
  • Doing staggered hatches (hatching every week.)
  • Sanitizing the incubator every week by spraying it with 3% hydrogen peroxide. Sanitize the incubator before adding the new eggs each week.
  • Temperature of 99.5F in the incubators. If one corner of the incubator is 101F that is okay, but no area is below 99.5F.
  • Maintaining the humidity of the incubator to be at least 50%. If it goes below 50% humidity, add 3-4 tablespoons of water to the center of the tray in the Hovabator. The humidity may go as high as 70%, but this is fine.
  • Removing the eggs from the turners 3-5 days before the hatch date.
  • 60-70% humidity for the last few days of incubation. It's difficult to get over 60% humidity in the Kebonnix incubator before the eggs hatch, so I just keep the center tray completely full of water. The Kebonnix can go above 80% humidity once the eggs start hatching, so you may have to open it to let the moist air out. If the eggs were incubated in high humidity, they have a lot of moisture inside and they don't dry out as easily, so opening the incubator during "lockdown" is fine.
  • Writing down pip times for the eggs. Leaving 12 hours before assisting chickens and 24 hours before assisting ducks. (18-24 hours is recommended for chickens and 24-36 hours is recommended for ducks).

Be careful about opening the chick’s egg too early (assisted hatch). The chick can get yolk sack infection (omphalitis). The yolk sack can stop absorbing. Even if it absorbs, it can fail to heal properly. The chick can die up to 3 days later. If the chick did not hatch cleanly, put some Polysporin on the naval over the scab where the yolk sack absorbed.
I don’t hatch chicks but I do ducklings
I often get 100% myself including schools I let use all my stuff
My ducks only lay in clean areas in the coop so I never have dirty eggs to clean. But I do cool and mist my egg from day 10 to lockdown. I watched my broody girl get off the nest for 20-40 mins each morning and agsin early evening. She would eat , drink , poo then go wet her belly and go back onto her eggs with a moist belly
This is why I take those steps and they have worked great for me
I didn’t think about the weekly cleaning but that’s a great idea !! I will try this my next batch

Can you give me more details on removing the turning trays? Is this because they shouldn’t be turned anymore or to leave the chicks room to open the shells without obstacles?
I have not had success incubating start to finish (I got impatient) and usually let mamas sit on their own eggs (it makes incorporating into the flock soo much easier that way).
I had a young turkey hen decide she wanted to claim the duck nest. She started sitting Dec 1 but wasn’t committed and duck would sit on the nest overnight. A few days later she fully committed and we had a hatch Jan 1. I’ve been checking and decided today to move the straggler eggs into the bator. She had pooped near the nest and the duckling needs to be eating food now.
Incubator is 99.5F and 70-71% humidity consistently (I turned it on days before anticipating). No turning trays. One egg has externally pipped and is progressing slowly and rocking back and forth, but no peeping. One egg was really dark and had a spot I picked off before putting it in, a few hours later I noticed it was oozing even with no cracks - reached in and tossed that one (bad). The other three I will candle tonight in the dark.
So “lockdown” has not been achieved because of all this. Should I still turn the eggs manually that are delayed? Or will the moving them plus once a day candling (if I need to) be okay?

Attachments

• IMG_6770.jpeg
    IMG_6770.jpeg
    921.4 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_6780.jpeg
    IMG_6780.jpeg
    228.4 KB · Views: 40
I have a Nurture Right 360 and don’t usually use the bator/trays anyway because turkey eggs are too large for it. This is my first rodeo (natural or incubator) with duck eggs.
Here’s the eggs with the progress on the pipped one. I’m concerned about the dark looking one behind it being viable and not a bomb 💣 but that’s why I need to candle.

Attachments

• IMG_6782.jpeg
    IMG_6782.jpeg
    373.2 KB · Views: 37
Ext pip guy is peeping occasionally now, still moving and rocking. Tried to candle in place but only saw darkness, so I guess duckling is taking up all the space.
Candling results: the dark egg I threw out without even cracking as it looked explosive lol. Another didn’t develop and was yucky when cracked.
Last one was moving but hasn’t internally pipped yet - shadowing? How many days behind is this guy?
1704415349926.gif

Attachments

• IMG_6783.jpeg
    IMG_6783.jpeg
    196.7 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_6785.jpeg
    IMG_6785.jpeg
    162.8 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_6784.jpeg
    IMG_6784.jpeg
    247.1 KB · Views: 32
I hatched ducks once, I didn't bother washing the dirty eggs. They were abit of an experiment. 3/6 hatched wasn't terrible, they were shipped eggs, so that's to be expected, had nothing to do with them being dirty.

Ext pip guy is peeping occasionally now, still moving and rocking. Tried to candle in place but only saw darkness, so I guess duckling is taking up all the space.
Candling results: the dark egg I threw out without even cracking as it looked explosive lol. Another didn’t develop and was yucky when cracked.
Last one was moving but hasn’t internally pipped yet - shadowing? How many days behind is this guy?
View attachment 3719214
It looks like the first guy is about to pip internally at that point. You can make a safety hole and wait 24+hrs before assisting hatch if you're anxious about it. The 2nd looks dead and the 3rd looks like no chick developed. The 4th has something in it but I can't tell if it's alive or not. I have accidentally opened eggs before thinking they were dead. On eggs that aren't white, it can be very difficult to see inside, so I just leave them till a day after the hatch date. If the egg is alive, you can see veins inside it. The veins break down first, so this is the easiest way to tell.
The reason for removing turning trays is to prevent a chick from getting stuck or injured, also they get dirty during the hatch. Chicks can hatch in the upright position (i.e. in rocker trays) but it doesn't work that well. Also the chick can develop upside down, and get obstructed while trying to pip. And yes the eggs should not be turned the last few days before hatch. Some people do not turn eggs at all, citing mother hens do not turn them in their nest. Most people believe it helps for artificial incubation. But don't worry if the eggs aren't getting turned if you're not sure when they will hatch.

I have a Nurture Right 360 and don’t usually use the bator/trays anyway because turkey eggs are too large for it. This is my first rodeo (natural or incubator) with duck eggs.
Here’s the eggs with the progress on the pipped one. I’m concerned about the dark looking one behind it being viable and not a bomb 💣 but that’s why I need to candle.
Another thing I didn't mention is, if the egg is runny inside, if you see movement when you tilt it back and forth while candling, it is rotten. Somebody told me they had a failed hatch egg go off like a gunshot while disposing it in their compost pile, but I haven't had that happen. I always use fresh eggs though, if they are a few weeks old before incubation there's a bigger chance of them going rotten.

The last egg has internally pipped, I think I can see a beak? Tried to photograph it. Also movement and peeping noises. No external pip yet so will leave him cooking. I’m not sure when official hatch date is/was as this was an experimental clutch by a newbie turkey mom on mostly duck eggs. Hatch 1 was Jan 1 and #2 was Jan 4th and this guy’s only just pipped inside. Mama very easily adopted the second duckling, fingers crossed #3 will be the same though days behind.

Attachments

• IMG_6799.jpeg
    IMG_6799.jpeg
    171.5 KB · Views: 37
The last egg has internally pipped, I think I can see a beak? Tried to photograph it. Also movement and peeping noises. No external pip yet so will leave him cooking. I’m not sure when official hatch date is/was as this was an experimental clutch by a newbie turkey mom on mostly duck eggs. Hatch 1 was Jan 1 and #2 was Jan 4th and this guy’s only just pipped inside. Mama very easily adopted the second duckling, fingers crossed #3 will be the same though days behind.
Keep us updated on how it goes. I personally don't put new chicks/ducklings/goslings with their mother. There are too many hazards and they do not need a mother. I put them in a brooder. To me it's not worth the risk, but if you don't have very many birds and they're inside or in a secure 1/2"x1/2" cage it's okay. Just my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom