First time Muscovy egg incubating questions. Humidity. To spray or not?

JustJandBlove

Hatching
Apr 4, 2024
I am a novice to hatching Muscovies but have incubated 100's of chicken eggs. We lost our sweet girl, Ruby but had managed to collect 15 of her eggs before her passing. Sadly, when we lost her, the eggs were nearing 3 weeks old at that point. We didn't have high hopes. We fired up the incubator and decided to give it a go. At day 10 we candled and 8 hadn't developed at all. 3 more stopped developing shortly after or possibly before. Today is day 18 and we have 4 alive, wriggling embryos. I am seriously concerned with humidity and to spray or not to spray. We have a Nurture Right 360 Incubator and it stays relatively constant between 50 and 55%. We began cooling them for 10 minutes on day 11. I have forgone spraying because after reading the article about hatching Muscovies (prior to firing up the incubator and about 10x a day since) and weighing them plus monitoring air sacs, we have been doing ok. Nearing day 20 though, it says that's when it becomes important. Also, when I saw people spraying on videos, they were like SPRAYING the eggs. Getting them good and wet. Is that what you do? Please any and all advice will be appreciated! Thanks!!

Attachments

• 20240410_161824.jpg
    20240410_161824.jpg
    323.7 KB · Views: 10
  • 20240410_161816.jpg
    20240410_161816.jpg
    271.6 KB · Views: 0
Welcome to BYC. I do not spray my Muscovy eggs and I incubate at 35-45% humidity. Have you read this article?
Incubating And Hatching Muscovy Eggs

Please note: I don't always get notified when there is a comment to the articles that I have posted.. so if you have a question and I don't get back to you here... just drop me a PM * ~ Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ ~ * This is my basic guide for the Incubation and Hatching of Muscovy Eggs All ducklings...

Welcome to BYC. I do not spray my Muscovy eggs and I incubate at 35-45% humidity. Have you read this article?

Please note: I don't always get notified when there is a comment to the articles that I have posted.. so if you have a question and I don't get back to you here... just drop me a PM * ~ Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ ~ * This is my basic guide for the Incubation and Hatching of Muscovy Eggs All ducklings...
Yes! It has been my guide throughout this process. Thank you! I will lower my humidity now. And continue cooling daily. How about humidity the last 3 days? I am almost exactly 2 weeks from hatch date. I want to get this right so bad. Only so we can have a piece of our girl. That's our wish. I will incubate chicken eggs again and again. I don't know if I'll attempt this again. It has been so stressful. There is so little information out there and it all seems contradictory. So thank you again!! Your advice means more than you know! Have a beautiful day!

Back
Top Bottom