Help! Meat bird feed schedule

Suesweet

Chirping
6 Years
Oct 2, 2016
Hi all. I’ve learned so much on here so I’m hoping for more help. I’ve had chickens for years but for the first time just ordered meat chicks-Cornish cross. I’ve had them for 1 week. They have a brooder but no light. I’ve read a lot online about switching to the 12hr on/12 hr off feeding schedule at 1 week. This is what I am planning on but then I saw where some people said they left food out the whole time for them, especially if there’s no light because they’ll sleep at night anyway. Has anyone had success with this? I’m going out of town for the weekend and it would be so much easier to leave food out rather than having someone come over twice a day. I just want them to do well and I’ve heard so many horror stories about overfeeding meat chicks. Thank you for any help!

You will be totally fine leaving food out for them while you go away this weekend. I didn't start restricting food with my CX until they were 2-3 weeks old. Plus, you are correct in that they will sleep at night since they don't have a light.

Back
Top Bottom