Help! Miami, FL chicken ordinance?

Slucente18

Chirping
Nov 27, 2021
Hi,
I am in Miami, FL and on the munilibrary it states you need a permit for poultry. Now in the zoning regulations it states you cannot raise poultry no where does it say you can't keep poultry, and then somewhere else on the miamidade website it says you can have up to 15 hens.

I had hens and code compliance got called on me by my neighbor and I wish I would have disputed it before but I just had a newborn and couldn't do it. But I want my girls again.

Someone please help!

Also I homeschool my kids. They loved helping with the chickens and the garden

Miami Chicken Laws | 2023

Florida Chicken Laws​

Florida is one of the more chicken-friendly states in the union. Here’s a summary of the laws that generally apply statewide:
  • Zoning: Backyard chickens are allowed in many residential areas in Florida, but local zoning regulations may apply. It is important to check with your local government to determine if there are any restrictions.
  • Number of Chickens: The maximum number of chickens allowed per property varies by city and county. For instance, in the city of Tampa, up to three hens are allowed per single-family lot, while in Orange County, up to 15 chickens are permitted on properties that are at least 15,000 square feet.
  • Roosters: Roosters are generally allowed in Florida, but some municipalities may have noise restrictions that prohibit them.
  • Coops and Runs: Coops and runs must be predator-proof, well-ventilated, and clean to prevent disease and pest infestations. They should also provide adequate space for the number of chickens you keep.
  • Slaughtering: Slaughtering chickens is allowed on your own property, but there may be regulations regarding the disposal of waste and methods used. It is important to check with your local government before slaughtering chickens.
  • Health: Chickens must be kept in good health and free of disease. Regular veterinary check-ups are recommended.
  • Waste: Chicken waste must be properly disposed of, and composting is recommended.
  • Permitting: Some municipalities require permits to keep backyard chickens, while others do not. Check with your local government to determine if a permit is necessary.
It’s important to keep in mind that regulations may change, so it is recommended to stay up-to-date with any changes in the laws before keeping backyard chickens in Florida.

Back
Top Bottom