Help, moldy feed given to chickens!!!

dharmasister

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 30, 2014
Slidell, Louisiana
Ok, so here's the back story, DH used to raise chickens years ago before we met. He got rid of them after hurricane Katrina when they stopped laying and he got busy. I grew up on my sisters ranch in Oregon where my daily chores included letting the chickens out of the coop, feeding them and collecting their eggs, so naturally when I moved in two years ago I knew we would eventually get more chickens. long story short - made him tear down the dilapidated, hillbilly looking coop. built a beautiful new coop. Its gorgeous, went out and bought some beautiful baby chicks. I've got five that are about 2 months old and two that are about 1 month old. I've just had their bag of feed just sitting in the coop for the moment. have been planning on getting a large lidded bucket to put it in, but they are not messing with it and for the moment the bag has been fine where it was..... well, two days ago DH tells me that he thinks he has a bucket in the shed that he used for his chicken feed and that he'd get it out for me. I didn't get out to see my girls at all yesterday because of a busy work schedule so I left their care up to my (supposedly) capable DH. When I went out this morning I found that DH had dug the bucket out of the shed, and it apparently had a good amount of old (possibly 5-7 years), moldy feed. He apparently broke up the moldy chunks and mixed my half-full bag of fresh feed in with it, and........ FED IT TO MY GIRLS!!!!! How concerned do I need to be about this? When I was growing up, I remember a truckload of hay getting moldy and my sister wouldn't feed it to the horses. I don't remember exactly what she said would happen, but I remember, it would have been bbbaaad. What might happen to my chickens and what do I need to look for?

Um ... well ... different strokes for different folks ... there are probably many ways to handle this. I don't know what you, in particular, should do. I also don't want to cause any disagreements with your chicken pal since having someone around to share chicken work with is sometimes a lifesaver.

But here's what I personally would do: Get brand new feed from a store that goes through feed quickly so that you don't get stale feed where the vitamins have already deteriorated (that's a given when buying feed). I'd throw out all the contaminated (moldy) feed; yes, it's a waste of money, but it's a bigger waste to buy chicks and raise them only to have them not lay well for years. I'd sanitized the moldy old bucket and wash the other contained with soap and water and let them all dry out. I'd get some powered Probios at the feed store also to restore the chicks' gut health since it could have been affected. I'd also be keeping plenty of water available if they want it.

Sour crop. That's what I would be watching for. It takes a while to develop - days/week or two. I haven't had any here in ages. The only way I've noticed it was a problem was by their pendulous crop (which can be caused by sour crop). You'll notice it because their chest is huge and draggy.

Chances are ... like 99% ... that one episode with the moldy feed won't cause you any trouble at all. But a continual feeding of that moldy feed will increase your chances with every day that passes of some trouble. I don't feed my chickens mold if I see it. I make sure their feed has some sort of probiotics in it like Dried Lactobacillus Plantarum Fermentation Product and Dried Lactobacillus Casei Fermentation Product -- as in the Probios I mentioned above, but a few commercial chicken feeds include those things also.

Chickens ... for optimum health ... no mold for them. I have friends that feed old pecking blocks that sit out all winter to their chickens or moldy leftovers from the fridge and then they wonder why their chickens aren't laying or why they find a hen dead in the chicken run for no apparent reason. I guess it could be anything, really, but it's gotta make you wonder a little. I'm all for taking care of your chickens how ever you want because there is more than one way to skin a cat, for sure. But for me, I feel really comfortable not feeding mold to my chickens/chicks.

Also, at two months, your chicks are in their teen years when their reproductive system is developing and maturing. For them and for the eggs that you hope to get, you want to give them the best you can while they are this age. A sub-par reproductive system can make them a poor layer for their entire lives. Yes, they're just chickens, but when they're completely mature is when you can be a little more cavalier about how carefully they're fed. But you know all this.

Thanks Spangled, not giving them any more of the moldy feed is a given. It's already been disposed of and replaced with fresh feed. I was very concerned about what he'd already fed them. I'll be watching for sour crop. Thanks again.

I have studied this a bit. I believe your biggest concern should be aflatoxins... watch your birds carefully. Here's a section of an article I wrote, in case it helps you:

• Mold or Moldy Feed is a serious problem, as mold in grain, especially corn, is known to grow aflatoxins. Most of the aflatoxin problems on corn are caused by Aspergillus flavus, and the most potent toxin produced by this mold is called aflatoxin B1. These toxins may have degenerative effect on the nervous system of birds, causing signs similar to Marek's such as weakness, paralysis, or spasms, along with pale combs, weight loss, and lethargic behavior.... so it is very important to investigate feed, both bagged and in the bird's environment, to make sure it is fresh and free of mold. Molds may not be visible to the naked eye, so when in doubt, discard old feed and supply birds with fresh feed. If you find moldy feed or suspect moldy feed and see any changes in health in your flock, immediately discontinue access to affected feed! Read more: http://www.mycotoxins.info/myco_info/animpy_sr.html More information, and treatment: http://birdhealth.com.au/flockbirds/poultry/diseases/mould_infections.html

You may also notice respiratory problems, distress, etc.

Hopefully your birds are just fine!

Ok, so here's the back story, DH used to raise chickens years ago before we met. He got rid of them after hurricane Katrina when they stopped laying and he got busy. I grew up on my sisters ranch in Oregon where my daily chores included letting the chickens out of the coop, feeding them and collecting their eggs, so naturally when I moved in two years ago I knew we would eventually get more chickens. long story short - made him tear down the dilapidated, hillbilly looking coop. built a beautiful new coop. Its gorgeous, went out and bought some beautiful baby chicks. I've got five that are about 2 months old and two that are about 1 month old. I've just had their bag of feed just sitting in the coop for the moment. have been planning on getting a large lidded bucket to put it in, but they are not messing with it and for the moment the bag has been fine where it was..... well, two days ago DH tells me that he thinks he has a bucket in the shed that he used for his chicken feed and that he'd get it out for me. I didn't get out to see my girls at all yesterday because of a busy work schedule so I left their care up to my (supposedly) capable DH. When I went out this morning I found that DH had dug the bucket out of the shed, and it apparently had a good amount of old (possibly 5-7 years), moldy feed. He apparently broke up the moldy chunks and mixed my half-full bag of fresh feed in with it, and........ FED IT TO MY GIRLS!!!!! How concerned do I need to be about this? When I was growing up, I remember a truckload of hay getting moldy and my sister wouldn't feed it to the horses. I don't remember exactly what she said would happen, but I remember, it would have been bbbaaad. What might happen to my chickens and what do I need to look for?
I have dealt with chicken deaths from moldy feed. Yes it can kill them and they should never be given moldy anything.

Aspergillosis and Botulism are what to look for:
http://www.merckmanuals.com/vet/poultry/mycotoxicoses/overview_of_mycotoxicoses_in_poultry.html

http://www.merckmanuals.com/vet/poultry/botulism/overview_of_botulism_in_poultry.html

http://www.thepoultrysite.com/diseaseinfo/7/aspergillosis

So, my chickens got aspergillosis from moldy feed that molded on the ground after it rained on it. Droopy wings, partial paralysis, silly look in eyes like they can't think anymore, gasping with no odd sounds, and very quick deaths a couple of days after symptoms first showed in each bird. It was very sad.

It is very common for people to not know this and so don't be too hard on your DH. :)

However, one of the BYC members was able to save her chickens by giving a laxative, if I remember correctly. So here:
http://msucares.com/poultry/diseases/solutions.html
I think she may have done the Epsom Salt laxative...not sure. She may have done the molasses but I think it was the Epsom Salt.

So I would try a laxative straightaway if it were me to try to get that stuff out of there quickly.

Then I would watch for signs of problems but I am not sure there is anything more you can do after that???

My girls are doing fine. they suffered no ill effects. DH got a good scolding and will dare not ever feed my babies anything but fresh, healthy food ever again. thanks y'all!

Last edited:
My girls are doing fine. they suffered no ill effects.

Glad to hear it!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom