Help!!!! Momma attacking late hatching egg

amynw

Songster
Apr 25, 2020
Hello! I have a broody momma who had 5 chicks hatch 3 days ago. One externally pipped today, just when we were about to give up. When momma saw it, she started pecking the egg aggressively and kicked pine shavings all over it and drew blood, I’m assuming from the blood vessels on the shell. I took the egg inside with me and I am waiting for the incubator to warm up. Will I have to mother this chick on my own and not give it back to her? What would make her do that? I hope this chick survives. It just peeped a few times about 5 minutes ago.

Hello! I have a broody momma who had 5 chicks hatch 3 days ago. One externally pipped today, just when we were about to give up. When momma saw it, she started pecking the egg aggressively and kicked pine shavings all over it and drew blood, I’m assuming from the blood vessels on the shell. I took the egg inside with me and I am waiting for the incubator to warm up. Will I have to mother this chick on my own and not give it back to her? What would make her do that? I hope this chick survives. It just peeped a few times about 5 minutes ago.

Attachments

• BBB0DE35-1CB0-4984-8E4E-4D73F4B7FD24.jpeg
    BBB0DE35-1CB0-4984-8E4E-4D73F4B7FD24.jpeg
    214 KB · Views: 15

Back
Top Bottom