Help! Month old chicks-Gender?

EvaDianne

Hatching
Jun 22, 2015
Wondering if anyone can help me, I have 6 chicks and would like to know if i have any boys. They hatched out June 21 so they're about 3 weeks. There is one I suspect of being a cockerel he is shown in the close up photos. most of the other chicks have longer tail feathers than him. Also, there is a greeny colour coming in on his (and another chicks) feathers.

Still to early to be sure. It's normal for black breeds of both genders to have a green sheen to the feathers. It doesn't mean that it's a boy. My Australorps and Jersey Giant girl have had a green sheen to their feathers as soon as they started coming in. All three are good layers.
The only one I suspect of being a possible cockerel is the one up front on the right. That comb is pretty big for a 3 week old chick.

x2

Comb size is the best indicator for barnyard mixes (which I am assuming from your background info they are). That particular bird appears to be early in comb development.

But WAIT it out...barnyards develop at their own rate and way, and often appear precocious or don't match the color charts as they develop.

Just watch for combs to get red and big at an early age, that generally is the best indicator...but large yellow can be a girl...I know...I gave away a precocious barnyard mix because I thought it was a rooster and it turned into a fine laying hen at 14 weeks!

LofMc

x2

Comb size is the best indicator for barnyard mixes (which I am assuming from your background info they are). That particular bird appears to be early in comb development.

But WAIT it out...barnyards develop at their own rate and way, and often appear precocious or don't match the color charts as they develop.

Just watch for combs to get red and big at an early age, that generally is the best indicator...but large yellow can be a girl...I know...I gave away a precocious barnyard mix because I thought it was a rooster and it turned into a fine laying hen at 14 weeks!

LofMc

Still to early to be sure. It's normal for black breeds of both genders to have a green sheen to the feathers. It doesn't mean that it's a boy. My Australorps and Jersey Giant girl have had a green sheen to their feathers as soon as they started coming in. All three are good layers.
The only one I suspect of being a possible cockerel is the one up front on the right. That comb is pretty big for a 3 week old chick.
x3

x4

Back
Top Bottom