Help! Mother hen doesn't set her chicks! Now what???

RussianChickens

Songster
10 Years
Jul 2, 2013
Michigan (USA)
I have a mother hen who doesn't set on her chicks well and one died of exposure over night with a lamp. I put the 3 chicks in a box with a lamp and feed and water but they don't eat or drink, only peep for mama hen!! What do I do? Will they start eating on their own? I'm worried sick because I have one silkie left after the mother ken killed 3 of her chicks. Now I only have one silike and 2 cross breeds.

I really don't want to lose the chicks! But the one mother hen doesn't set on the chicks and the other killed her chicks. All I have left for them now is mama heat lamp... D:

They don't even stay under the lamp, just walk around peeping. One is only 3 days old and very small, I worry he will get cold.

Last edited:
I would separate your remaining chick from the momma hen with a 250 watt lamp close enough for the baby chick to feel comfortable. Watch the chick if it goes right under it for a while and stays there - that means it likes it (I would check if it is shivering by toughing it and if so you can lower a little more). If it goes away from the bulb for a while that means it's too hot - you can higher it a bit. Keep testing the height of the heat lamp. I hope you have a infrared light bulb and lamp.

You can watch for more info here:

And if it doesn't eat, I would try to feed it yourself. Nurse it to health if sickly.

Good luck let me know how it goes...

I would separate your remaining chick from the momma hen with a 250 watt lamp close enough for the baby chick to feel comfortable. Watch the chick if it goes right under it for a while and stays there - that means it likes it (I would check if it is shivering by toughing it and if so you can lower a little more). If it goes away from the bulb for a while that means it's too hot - you can higher it a bit. Keep testing the height of the heat lamp. I hope you have a infrared light bulb and lamp.

You can watch for more info here:

And if it doesn't eat, I would try to feed it yourself. Nurse it to health if sickly.

Good luck let me know how it goes...
He isn't sickly, just only 2 days old, and very small (silkie) and I'm afraid the stress of living without mama will cause them to not eat??

It was warmer today, so we had a 60 wat bulb, but now it cooled so we are changing the bulb to a 100 wat closer to the chicks (250) inf. started a fire last time we used it in this small enclosed brooder set up. Its a big wire dog crate with plastic wrapped around it all but the door, and is in our barn (which is shut for the night for more consistant temp)

We just swapped the 65 wat bulb for the 100 wat. My dad is worried it will start the shavings on fire. It is not the big infared one, just a normal 100. The big one would be too powerful for the brooder. The lamp is about 8 inches from the shavings.

But with the 65 they were huddled under it in the middle, and it was 6 or 8 inches above them, so i asked him to change it since i am not home. i think they may have been too cold, usually if it is too warm they set further towards the outside, I like to see them in the light but not huddled.

You need to get a thermometer and place it at the bottom of the brooder to monitor your heat. It should be about 95 to 98 degrees F for the first week.

It is always sad when momma rejects them...I just had to nurse my Isbars due to a slow lagging hatch (all set the same time) such that momma wouldn't take care of the first two that hatched leaving them to the cold and the last died.

Don't panic that they are not eating right off. Baby chicks usually do not need food for the first 2 or 3 days as they have the nourishment from the absorbed egg yolk. On about day 3, the mother would get off the nest, abandoning any unhatched eggs, and show her babies how to eat and drink.

Having said that, while they don't technically need it, since they have had cold and abandon stress, I eye dropper abandoned chicks for the first 24 hours to make sure they are hydrated with Chick Saver electrolytes and probiotics.

I agree keep the light on so that the chicks can huddle under it when they are cold but also have area to get away if they are warm.

Place food and water away from the heat lamp so that it does not get too warm.

Your dad does have reason for concern. Watch your lamp and heat carefully (another reason for the thermometer) and make sure it is very, very secure and cannot be knocked down into the shavings. I burned a coop down that way.

A 65 watt bulb, if in proper position, and small box, may be enough heat...again use a thermometer...you can get brooder thermometers cheaply at the feed store, around $3. However, 6 to 8 inches above the shavings is too close. I like to keep the lamps higher than that so the chicks can't jump or bump...but you are dealing with little Silkies, so adjust according to wisdom.

The first week is 95 to 98 degrees, then lower a minimum of 5 degrees per week, maximum of 10 degrees per week, until you get to ambient household temperature. Then begin to transition to the outdoors. You want your birds fully feathered before transitioning to outdoors.

Watch them...if they huddle right under they are too cold. If they huddle far away too hot. They will chirp loudly when they get too cold. That will help you know how/when to adjust temps.

With your little Silkies, I would lower more slowly at the 5 degrees and be careful to not cold stress as Silkies are more fragile and prone to illness.

LofMc

Last edited:
Thanks! It looks like changing the bulb was the right choice for the cooler weather, its only 50 today. The 100 seems to be making them happy, they set under it about half way. I have to call my dad and make sure the water isn't under the lamp or the food. I don't think he would think of that. He said they were all eating and drinking today, and not peeping their heads of any more, so that's good.

I have to be away on business for most of the week, I wish I could be there to baby set them all day. Lol, I think I am more picky than a real mother hen. I had hoped the hens would set them, but that didn't pan out, they were not the greatest mothers, the one wanted to set on eggs, but lost interest when they hatched. The other was evil and wanted to kill them and eat their eyes out...creepy....

Back
Top Bottom