Help! My 8 month old chicken is not feeling good!

PurpleChic17

Hatching
5 Years
Jan 18, 2015
One of my new babies is not feeling good. I found her in one of the nests with her eyes closed and when I touched her she still had her eyes closed. Very unlike her. She is breathing heavily and it sounds like she may have some mucus in her mouth which does smell really bad. Also I noticed a little bit of gunk on top of her eyelid. She also hasn't been eating or drinking. Sadly it's a Sunday and can't take her to the local farm vet. Please help!

I would suspect that she could be suffering from a respiratory disease called coryza. I would isolate her, and think about getting her tested. If it is coryza, it is a contagious disease which will make carriers of your flock. Since she is new she may have brought the disease with her, or become infected from other chickens. Coryza symptoms may be treated with sulfadimethoxine or sulmet, but the disease can come back whenever she is stressed. Many people will cull for coryza, so that is why I would get her tested first.

Thanks! Hopefully if she survives the night I'm planning on taking her to the vet first thing in the morning. I'm also thinking it could be ascites since she is having a lot of fluid drooling out of her mouth. Thanks again :)

You might check her crop to make sure it is emptying. Ascites is a fluid buid up in the lower abdomen from heart or liver failure, and should not cause drooling.

Back
Top Bottom