HELP!!! My BUFF ORPINGTON rooster attacked me! What do i do?!

See how it goes the next few weeks, with you keeping your distance and not treating him as a pet. If he stays aggressive, you'll need to get rid of him. You can't be constantly defending yourself. Not all roos are aggressive, but give him more than the one strike.

Its been my opinion that roosters will be roosters. Many times over I see post of people saying their rooster attacked them even though be had been so sweet before. Once they hit a certain age they feel the need to assert dominince. I have a ten year old now that thinks it is okay to pet our full grown BO rooster. I discourage it since we are his third owner. He first one had troubles. The second just needed the extra room and now we have him until I can give him to a neighbor. He sure does t lime me but he does keep his distance.

Welcome back- Can you hear me now!!! I remember you from before when you used to post awhile ago!!!

To the OP: I would get rid of your roo. I do offer treats to roos and the whole flock but I don't ever hold my roosters or try to do any physical contact with them other than maintenance (dusting for mites, etc.). There are too many nice roos in the world to tolerate a mean roo. Also you don't want to breed that meanness in your breeding program. Some roos will just turn mean on you no matter what you do.

Last edited:
Welcome back- Can you hear me now!!! I remember you from before when you used to post awhile ago!!!

To the OP: I would get rid of your roo. I do offer treats to roos and the whole flock but I don't ever hold my roosters or try to do any physical contact with them other than maintenance (dusting for mites, etc.). There are too many nice roos in the world to tolerate a mean roo. Also you don't want to breed that meanness in your breeding program. Some roos will just turn mean on you no matter what you do.
thx guys. ill think about it. keep me updated though, and ill keep my updates too.

jed2012
I had five roosters at one time, one that I used to baby a lot. He never attacked me, only my family. We ended up having to get rid of the mean ones( which equaled four) and believe me it was kinda hard. One thing for sure I know your pain. By the way do not feel bad if you do not eat it, if you have to kill it, because I burried all of mine instead of eating them.

I have one now that is just a big baby so even if this one doesn't work out keep trying.
thumbsup.gif

guys, ive been keeping my space from him, and now, he doesnt attack me when i go out! i think he will b just fine. thx! again, keep me updated, and ill do the same!
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
Agree! Except that I expect my roosters to show at least some friendliness toward people or they don't go onto the breeding program. Sooner or later if he's only interested in himself he's going to breed less tame chooks, and who's got the time for managing or treating spacky idiots? Not me. What you keep and breed is what you will have in future, and also what you'll pass on to others. I think there's so many mean roos because people have tolerated and bred them for so long. Chickens have been domesticated for so many generations, it's really a matter of what we allow. It's not like we've only just domesticated them! We allow too much disrespect, and giving the animal excessive respect is not a solution either. I've gotten rid of a few aggressive roos, not of my breeding, and ever since had no problems. I've bred and kept hundreds of all breeds and had them all freeranging together without violence or threats. I simply don't breed aggressive roosters so I don't get aggressive roosters. It works very quickly, five generations, max. The golden oldie, the '5 generation rule.' Seems true enough.

It's like someone keeping and breeding a dog known to maul people. Not once, but multiple times. Who would not expect the pups to present high risks in themselves, because of the parent's behaviour? Who takes the chance? Who pays for that person taking the chance, in the end? Oh, some will say, but he's just protecting ________(insert rationalization or excuse here) as he chases kids down the street ripping them apart! Oh, it's just the wolf in his ancestry! Wolves aren't pets! It's just that he's male! Classic and unfounded. There's good males and bad males, just as there are good females and bad females. A violent and dangerous animal is a violent and dangerous animal.

If you tolerate and breed a dangerous animal, you're perpetuating this behaviour. Some hens don't mind getting stuck into people too. If you don't want violent chooks, cull violent chooks, don't breed them, and you won't hatch more. If he's become peaceful now you've de-spurred him, he'll likely start up again when they grow back. He's displaying a set pattern.

Back
Top Bottom