Help! My chick is not moving, pooping blood?

I have another question... when She drinks a little but the chick suddenly "wakes" up and trashes around, and when i try to put her down she just flops right over again... is this normal? @Wyorp Rock

It sounds like she is very sick and unable to keep her balance - loss of balance would be somewhat normal with a Coccidiosis overload. She's probably suffering from dehydration (loss of blood and not drinking) so hopefully getting her hydrated with the Corid water she will start to rally.

Keep watch on her that she isn't being walked on by the other chicks - if she is then you may need to separate her.

I have another question... when She drinks a little but the chick suddenly "wakes" up and trashes around, and when i try to put her down she just flops right over again... is this normal?

Didn't see this mentioning in my quick read thru but:
Be very careful giving it orally.....
....don't squirt it into her mouth, you could easily 'drown' her if ti goes down her trachea.
That may be why she was trashing.
Soak a Qtip with the corrid solution and hold it against the side of her beak, it should seep into her mouth and she should swallow. Rubbing under her chin and/or the front of her neck will stimulate her to swallow.

I am very, very thankful for ya'll's help! But sadly she passed away. I don't know if it was the stress or if it was the water solution. :barnie:confused:
I never squirted it down her throat, i just put a drop on the side of her beak to encourage her to drink. I hope I didn't drown her... but I think i just got the Corrid solution a little too late and she was just too sick. But hopefully now it won't happen with the other chicks! :oops:

I'm sorry. I lost a pullet by not catching on fast enough. I was able to save my others. Cocci can be tricky as sometimes you just don't know until its too late. Just watch your others to make sure they are drinking that Corid water. I also dosed each one of mine directly, by dripping it in the side of their beaks with the mix of 1/2 tsp corid mixed with 2 tsp water twice a day in addition to giving them the Corid water mixture. Mine all perked up by day 3. Good luck.

I'm sorry for your loss.
May I ask:
What age are your chicks?
How many days old?

Back
Top Bottom