HELP! My chick won’t walk on one leg!

KemzWade19

In the Brooder
Jan 29, 2024
My chick muffin is about 5 days old and won’t put any weight on her leg! I have put a rubber band around her legs to see if it was just splay legs and if she would put weight on her leg but she still won’t! I don’t see any signs of bumble foot, no sweeping or anything. It’s not curled toes her foot is just fine. It doesn't look like to me that something is broken or it would be bruised and swollen! She also cannot keep that one leg together. Pictures below!

Attachments

• IMG_9495.jpeg
    IMG_9495.jpeg
    388.9 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_9493.jpeg
    IMG_9493.jpeg
    519.5 KB · Views: 9
Research splay leg. I bet that's it.

I'm dealing with the same thing. There are different methods of making leg braces and sometimes it's a b vitamin deficiency, if I understood correctly. I'm going to pick up supplies today.

How's she doing? I had one who kept kicking her legs out behind her almost like she couldn't bring them in. Mine sadly did not make it. I only had her about 12 hours. Her legs are what I most noticed her having trouble with. It almost looked like Mareks but she was way to young and vaccinated. I wish I could be of more help other than saying you can try to splint the leg with pipe cleaner and wrap with a small piece of rubber horse wrap. It sticks to itself, you can buy it at tractor supply fairly cheaply. Keep us posted on how she's doing. Best

How's she doing? I had one who kept kicking her legs out behind her almost like she couldn't bring them in. Mine sadly did not make it. I only had her about 12 hours. Her legs are what I most noticed her having trouble with. It almost looked like Mareks but she was way to young and vaccinated. I wish I could be of more help other than saying you can try to splint the leg with pipe cleaner and wrap with a small piece of rubber horse wrap. It sticks to itself, you can buy it at tractor supply fairly cheaply. Keep us posted on how she's doing. Best wishes

My chick muffin is about 5 days old and won’t put any weight on her leg! I have put a rubber band around her legs to see if it was just splay legs and if she would put weight on her leg but she still won’t! I don’t see any signs of bumble foot, no sweeping or anything. It’s not curled toes her foot is just fine. It doesn't look like to me that something is broken or it would be bruised and swollen! She also cannot keep that one leg together. Pictures below!
@KemzWade19 your post is from February, can you give an update on how your chick is doing/how this turned out?

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom