Opinion question about leg bands

…could you paint their nails? I’d be worried about them eating the paint on feathers.
The paint I use is a non-toxic acrylic. Eating it shouldn't be an issue.

Painting their nails is an idea. Thanks. Since the two I can't identify on sight both have yellow feet, it should be simple to mark toes.

I took the leg bands off. Marker lasted less than a day. I'll have to think about this for the next group, but two of the three look like they're pullets and the other is visually distinct. I think I can keep these three straight.

Some thoughts on marking chickens.

I use colored zip ties, the color on the left leg tells me the year they were hatched and the color or colors on the right leg tell me the individual. A blue is one chicken, an orange is a different one, and a blue plus orange is a third. Lots of possible combinations. You need to check any band on the leg to make sure it doesn't get tight as they grow.

Some people use the toe punch method. Use a one-hole-punch and put a hole in the membrane between toes. Which membrane is punched between which toes can identify them.

If you ask some hatcheries will use food coloring to mark chicks. Say you are splitting an order and need to know which chicks belong to which order, especially if the chicks are the same color. Mark different body parts to identify different chicks, like forehead, left leg, right leg plus left breast, or maybe in the middle of the back. A lot of different options. You will need to refresh these as they molt and chicks can molt a few times.

Back
Top Bottom