Heavy leg feathers drawing attention

NorthwoodsChick

Fowl play will 🐝 encouraged 🐥🐔
Premium Feather Member
May 16, 2021
UP Michigan
My Coop
My Coop
1 week old BBS Marans chick with heavy leg/toe feathering, emerging pin feathers is getting pecked by hatch mates (Marans) with less feathering on legs.
The bullied chick nibbles his own feathered toes! I tried blue kote, tried wrap with coban to cover the feathers.

I had to separate the chick at least until the pins feather out. Will he ever be accepted? This bullying had made him the runt. Crowding is not a concern. The brooder for 10 one week old chicks is 5x4 ft, two heat plates, chick feeders and waters, plus some boredom busters.

What can I do to get this chick accepted by the others?
I really don’t get why the chick is nibbling his own toes. Do these feathers hurt?? He is the only one with black leg feathering.

Maybe he's nibbling his toes 'cause they itch. I've read that the pin feathers coming in can be very uncomfortable for the chick. It isn't a good idea to separate the chick alone, otherwise you'll have a hard time integrating him back into the flock. Do you have any other feathered-toed birds, or could you maybe get another one?

Maybe he's nibbling his toes 'cause they itch. I've read that the pin feathers coming in can be very uncomfortable for the chick. It isn't a good idea to separate the chick alone, otherwise you'll have a hard time integrating him back into the flock. Do you have any other feathered-toed birds, or could you maybe get another one?
Yes, most are Marans but light leg feathering. The chick in question (Boots) it seems is male. He has abandoned his toes and has become the brooder bully chest bump champ. Thx for the reply.

Back
Top Bottom