Help :( My dog and chicks don't mix.

crazy4daisy

Songster
12 Years
Mar 12, 2007
Central Missouri
Okay, my chicks have been doing great.
I have had them for about three weeks and out of twelve chicks, I haven't even killed one.
yippiechickie.gif

But, I have a little white Min. Shnauzer named Daisy
love.gif
and everytime we go down to the woodshop to check on the little peeps, she goes crazy, (scratching on the chicken wire, barking, whining, and terrorizing the little chicks). I try to take one of them out of the brooder, hold it in my hand and hold her back just to let her smell it and she tries to put her paw up and scratch it, and she dosen't realize how fragile they are.

I need a solution to help her get used to them without hurting her or the little chicks. HEEEEEELP!
barnie.gif

Last edited:
Good luck! I have TWO miniature shnauzers same kind and they are viscious little killers! I love therm but that's what they were bred for "hunting and ratting". Their instints just take over. I have gotten to where I have to swat their little bottoms every time they get to close. I had a chick out and thought that Maggie my little girl was not trying to pay any attention well the chick got a little to close and it was in her mouth faster than I could blink. I screamed and smacked her on the back HARD and out flew the chick abraided and slobbery and nearly lunch. I would try to be dominant to your dog and VERY clearly make it known that the birds are yours. And don't let your gaurd down for a second. I love my dogs. Maybe when the chickens are bigger there won't be such a big problem but right now they are just little mobile sqeaky toys and my dogs would be more than happy to eat them.

Quote:
Lol - We always joke that Daisy only wants two or three little chicken nuggets - PLEEEEEEASE mom, I only want three! No? Okay, I'll make you a deal - howbout two. That's my final offer.

But I understand what you're saying - they were bred to be little killers.
he.gif

You might have better luck when the girls are bigger. Right now they are so tiny and probably look like little toys, but if the dogs are around them enough to get used to the sight and smell of them, by the time they grow up, maybe the dogs will respect them?
Now is the time to teach the dogs that the chickens are above them on the totum pole!! I did that with my dogs and it seemed to work out... I have one dog that wouldn't touch the chickens to save his life, one that is alright around them, and one that will just never learn. The one I don't trust is tied up before the chickens come out to free range.

Thanks everyone.

I think she'll respect them more when they grow up (they might have to peck it into her brain). She's great with everything else, but the only thing she just dosen't do good with is the chickies.

Well for one thing she really does think they are "snack"! It doesn't help that all the toy manufacturers prey on the instincts of the breeds. All toys squeak and make dying animal sounds so dogs love them! Dogs were not only loving companions but provided specific duties for their companions that included hunting and ferreting out vermin. You also have to consider her breed. The miniture schnauzer breed is very voracious in life and remember what they were originally bred for. You cannot expect generations of that instinct to just go away. I would not trust her for second with those babies and if she gets to taste one of those cute fuzzy snacks, there isn't any turning back. Once a killer always a killer. I would keep her away from them until they are full grown and gently introduce them. If she reacts the same way you will just have to keep them forever seperated. Schnauzers really have a mind of their own! I don't think that introducing "dog whisperer" tactics will truly change her mind or instinct and unless she is truly submissive to you and you are definitely "alpha dog" will she then respect your commands. I would be very very careful which situations you put her in with your birds. It is much easier to raise dogs with birds when they are young puppies and are impressionable, then they see them as part of their pack. Take it slow and easy and I wish you the best of luck.

Thanks everyone. It's just soooooo frustrating. I can't leave her in the house because I feel bad, and then when I take her with me, she acts like this. GRRRRRRRR
he.gif

Watch her face, specifically the eyes. They can not hide the fact that lunch is only moments away. I've got one that will never interact with my chickens because that's how he sees them. Yes, he's been worked with for two years, it took that long to convince him my guineas were not toys but part of my pack.

Back
Top Bottom