Help! My duck won't eat!

I don't know which of the posts you want me to read after I click on your link. I've read the first two or so but I still don't really have enough information.

Molasses flush is 1 pint molasses per 5 gallons water given over a period of 8 hours withhold all other food or water.

The break down is -

(1 PINT = 2 CUPS)

2 cups to 5 gallons water

1 cup to 2.5 gallons of water

1/2 cup to 1.25 gallons of water

1/4 cup to 2 quarts water

4 tablespoons to 1 quart water

The molasses acts as a laxative by pulling water into the intestines and flushing it out.

I would mix it by the quart.

Last edited by MissPrissy (02/08/2008 10:52 am)
How is your duck today?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:
Quote:
I have also heard that people put the molasses in apple sauce. as far a mineral oil unless it's eating on it own i'd be afraid of trying to get it down it's throat with out it going into the lungs. Seems molasses and applesause or molasses in water would be more inticing. Does your duck seem to be improving?

Last edited:
Okay, I tried mixing a little bit of the mineral oil in with the molasses and water and he seems to be drinking some of it. So far he is acting normal, just not eating (obviously). How soon do you think I should see results from the flush? And should I do it every day or just this once?
P.S. Thank you for all of your help

Quote:
According to that post I gave you earlier it said over a period of 8 hours. so hopefully if it's some kind of poisoning he should be better tomorrow, but I am not sure if you should give him both[ mineral oil and molasses] but hes your duck. This is going to act like a laxative and flush out the toxins. This is the only water he should have in the 8 hr. period. post #13

Last edited:
Okay, I guess I will dump out the mineral oil/molasses combination and just do molasses. But I had already given him some of the molasses water last night too so... is this going to be too much? And when should I try to give him normal crumbles again?

If he is drinking, can you make a "soup" out of his crumbles until he feels better? Can you get your hands on some duckweed? Floating that in a kiddie pool full of water might entice him to eat.

Back
Top Bottom