Help my goose made a nest in an unsecure place!

Oneacre Homestead

Chirping
8 Years
May 25, 2011
I have a pair of geese and they have a secure pen that they sleep in but my goose made a nest right behind it. It took me a while to see it because she buries they eggs sometimes. We have these huge racoons here that recently got one of my meat birds by pulling the poor thing through chicken wire ick so sad.
I do not want them to find her nest!
She is not sitting on it yet, just collecting. Do you think I shoud try to move the whole thing inside the pen or will she reject the nest of I move it?
She rejected one egg and pushed it out of the nest, keeping the others.

You can try to move it -- but geese have a mind of their own. If you make a sheltered place where you want her to sit, like inside a dog house or something, she might take to it. I was able to move one of my geese nests that way, but she had just started laying. Don't know what she would do with a full nest that was moved. Be careful when you try it -- she might not agree with you!

you can try to move it. I suggest waiting till the goose is out roaming, and then movie it to a secure place
yippiechickie.gif

I have moved a nest and the goose went with it. However, she was laying in a dog crate, so it was easy to move the whole thing.

I think that if you want her to lay inside the coop, you are going to have to keep her confined every day until she lays her egg. Otherwise, she will go back to the place she chose before.

They lay , as a generalization, every other day.

My geese have all liked the dog crate nests. They can see out the windows, yet feel secure. I fill the bottom of the crate with straw or hay and the geese go right to them to lay. Mine are outdoors, so I have a framework of branches over them to provide shelter and shade and to make them seem more private.

Back
Top Bottom