Help my identify the colors of my keets, first time hatching Guineas

JeniChic

Chirping
12 Years
Mar 9, 2011
Grover, NC
I need help identifying the colors of my keets. They are apx 4 weeks old. I hatched them myself from purchased eggs. The eggs I bought were Pearl, Lavender, & Chocolate, which leads to another question. Do you just get random colors? Or If you breed Lavender to Lavender are you only going to get Lavender? Or can some other color pop up. Reason I question, is the light color ones don't look dark enough to be Chocolate.
I love the variety I got and would purchase eggs from this person again, I am just trying to understand how the colors work in breeding. As I plan to breed these when they start laying in the Spring.

Last edited:
Yes there are 11. Thanks I think they are really pretty. I picked up the eggs.
I'm hoping to find eggs locally and pick them up, too. Trouble is, everyone I know who might have eggs is hatching, too. I bought shipped eggs, and only got 1 hatch out of 14 eggs.

I'm hoping to find eggs locally and pick them up, too. Trouble is, everyone I know who might have eggs is hatching, too. I bought shipped eggs, and only got 1 hatch out of 14 eggs.
The lady i got mine from is in the Spartanburg, SC area. I don't know if that is close enough to you or not, but I do know she has waiting list so it might be awhile before you could any.

The lady i got mine from is in the Spartanburg, SC area. I don't know if that is close enough to you or not, but I do know she has waiting list so it might be awhile before you could any.
Thanks JeniChic. That's not totally out of the question for a sufficient amount of eggs, but it's still one long drive. Can you PM me with the info? I'll contact her and see if I could jump on the waiting list for some. Can't hurt to check it out.

I see 3 Lavender, 4 Pearl Grey, 1 Royal Purple, 1 Buff and I can't see the head stripes on the other 2 lightest colored keets. If you can get a better pic of the 3 light keets together, showing head markings and color clearly I can probably tell you what they are.

The light keets aren't Chocolates tho... but not everyone is accurate with their color IDs all the time, so maybe she thinks her Buffs are Chocolates
idunno.gif

Guineas can and usually do carry lots of hidden recessives and so yah, lots of other colors can show up in the hatches depending what genes the 2 parents are carrying and how the genes pair up once the egg is fertilized are what determines what hatches, moreso than what color the parents actually are.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info peeps. I will get some pics of the 3 light color ones. Is the one with the light color head and dark body the Royal purple?

Yes the Royal Purle is right dab in the middle of the photo with the squggly lines on his head - dark body with the lighter head. I agree with PeepsCa on the colors. I can't tell either on the two lightest ones. Nice looking bunch of keets!!!!

Back
Top Bottom