Help, My polishes are getting picked on.

Mayhen

Hatching
6 Years
Mar 8, 2013
We are new to raising chickens and started our little flock off with a very eclectic mix. They are about 4 months old and have been raised together from day one. Each breed we purchased was supposed to be mild mannered, and I think they generally are. The only time I see anything different is the flocks general attitude towards our two polish chickens, Vegas and Goldilocks. Those two seem pushed out of the flock and yesterday we noticed that Vegas, the white crested polish, had blood on her crown where the the other chickens are pecking at her head and pulling out her feathers. This happened once before and it seemed to get better as we monitored it. They have a fairly large coop, 20x20 for 15 chickens with lots of perches. Today we expanded the coop to incorporate our guineas so it is now about 30x20 for 20 birds. We give them treats pretty regularly. Last night we quarantined her and treated her head with an antibacterial spray.

We read online that this may be out of boredom so we are starting them free ranging today, side note, I am extremely nervous about this. When we let them out of the coop we put Vegas out with them hoping some fresh air and more space would calm everyone down and they wouldn't focus on her. Two of the chickens tried pecking her head. We put Vegas in a little coop outside in hopes that the others could get some mental stimulation and she could too, safely, away from the rest of the flock. We looked at our other Polish, Goldilocks, a golden laced, and they seem to be pecking t her head to, although not as much. So we put her int he coop with Vegas.

We love our babies and want to keep them, but we also want them safe. Is it possible or likely the other chickens are picking on them because they look so different? Any ideas or insight would be much appreciated.

I was in the situation also and I didn't take my polish out I took the bullies out so when I put them back they are lower in the pecking order. It worked out really well.

Back
Top Bottom