HELP!! My Pullets won't stop Bawking!!!!

I too live in a residential area and my BO squawks most of the morning, not an egg song, she squawks, raaawwk, raaaaaaaawk, rawwwk. I had to go outside and sit with them until she had calmed down. I don't know why they are so excited in the morning. My Barred Rock will stand at the back door and squawk super loud when she hears my voice. I think she wants treats, spoiled thing. I worry about my neighbors too. But they are quiet the rest of the day.

Thank you everyone for all your great responses! I really am stressed out and I'm on the verge of getting rid of them. It's so hard, but like right now its almost 11am and they have been making alot of noise since about 7...they were quiet for about an hour when I watered my garden and they were out of their run....The rest of the time making a ton of noise...then I know this afternoon they will be totally quiet! That's my dilemma!! I try giving them treats, and sitting out there with them, that works until I go inside....I just don't have time to sit out there all day!! No one has complained yet, but I'm sure it's just a matter of time. I wish I live in the country!! Having chickens has been a lifelong dream, I can't imagine getting rid of them already...mostly I'm terrified they will end up with someone who won't take good care of them, or eat them!! They have been loved and spoiled from day 1! I just have this knot in my stomach when they are so loud.

I too live in a residential area and my BO squawks most of the morning, not an egg song, she squawks, raaawwk, raaaaaaaawk, rawwwk. I had to go outside and sit with them until she had calmed down. I don't know why they are so excited in the morning. My Barred Rock will stand at the back door and squawk super loud when she hears my voice. I think she wants treats, spoiled thing. I worry about my neighbors too. But they are quiet the rest of the day.
My BA is the loudest!! My Faverolles is next in line, then my Splash Marans just whines all day, she is such a baby, she hasn't even layed an egg yet at 24 weeks!

Last edited:
I'm in the same boat!! In a residential area with 4 chickens, all 24 weeks old (2 laying, 2 not yet). They were SOOO loud this morning! My leghorn laid an egg, then started the song about 15 minutes later! I was wondering about the delay there, but whatever...lol Pretty soon she had the non-laying EE singing along with her! They were bawking in unison, making it twice as loud!
sad.png
This has happened once before...& my way of quieting them through distraction seems to work...100% success rate so far! I simply put down a favorite treat, like scratch or cottage cheese, & PRESTO--no more noise!
big_smile.png

Give it a try...maybe it'll work for you...
smile.png
I'm going to try the cottage cheese! That seems like a great idea, I bet they love the tasty little morsels!! I already give them a plate of some feed mixed with mixed veggies, hardboiled egg, yogurt and other treats like raisens or flax seed every day!! They get that in the morning, then they get a pan of ice cubes (its still hot here) with watermelon and blueberries in it each afternoon, plus they have access to regular food and water all day, plus they come out of their run which is roomy at 12x4 for 3 of them- twice a day for at least an hour each time. I think I'm doing everything right, but still the noise!! I feel like a criminal, always looking over my shoulder waiting for animal control to show up!!!!
barnie.gif

I'm not in the city but I have been with hens. There are times i want to just scream at them to shut up. They bawk and squawk all morning because they all want the same nesting box. They will eventually settle down some so be patient.

Back
Top Bottom