Help! Need clear lockdown instruction for useless husband

Better not, it will be a rooster. I call all mine "she" until they prove me wrong
gig.gif

I just realized that you are just a little over a week into the incubation. Really, I have read several posts that say running dry isn't the same in a Brinsea as styrofoam. If you are already ahead of schedule on weight loss this early, I would definitely go up to at least 35%. No one humidity works for every person in every place, but every incubation I have done at 40% has been over 87%, and had one that was 22/23. The only low hatch rate I had was 11/22, and that was at 35%
Iiiik! I don't think I am ahead of schedule with the weight loss!? I am on day 10, and the eggs have lost on average 7% (Mini) and 8 % (Octagon) - with 8 days to go until lockdown. I thought I was on track with these figures?!

Please tell me I am not completely off target!!!

I'll check the pump manual for the foam stuff - I thought that would be in the bator manual... Not too fond of reading manuals :)

Iiiik! I don't think I am ahead of schedule with the weight loss!? I am on day 10, and the eggs have lost on average 7% (Mini) and 8 % (Octagon) - with 8 days to go until lockdown. I thought I was on track with these figures?!

Please tell me I am not completely off target!!!

I'll check the pump manual for the foam stuff - I thought that would be in the bator manual... Not too fond of reading manuals :)
Sorry, didn't mean to scare you. For some reason I had gotten the idea that you said you were ahead of schedule. I have never weighed eggs, so I couldn't tell you what is good or bad. If you are tracking, and you think you are good, then you are good.
The pump manual has some clear pictures of placing the clips and evaporator pads, so not a lot of reading necessary
wink.png

I assume you are using the pump already? Setting the pump line up to feed correctly is much harder than placing the pads. The pads just settle into the V-clips, and there are cut outs under the lid for the clips to go into. Really, as far as the divider pads and tray liner, if you are uncomfortable with them, don't use them. I can see where it would elevate the eggs and make you think they might fall out. Mine didn't come with any of that stuff, and it's not necessary for a good hatch. If you are tracking weight loss, and feel you are on schedule, then you are going to have a great hatch. I can't say enough about my Octagon 20. It really makes hatching fun

Thanks a million again!

Dear husband is now duly instructed - he gave me about 2 minutes before he started pacing. He volunteered to manually turn the eggs in the Mini when confronted with my soulful brown eyes, but I have my doubts. I didn't have the guts to ask him to take out all the eggs and place a mat in the tray.

If you want some Hedemora eggs (Swedish land race - best bird in the world) you can have as many eggs as you want!!! Thank you so much for all your help - I will keep you posted when I return from the outback!

big_smile.png

Thanks a million again!

Dear husband is now duly instructed - he gave me about 2 minutes before he started pacing. He volunteered to manually turn the eggs in the Mini when confronted with my soulful brown eyes, but I have my doubts. I didn't have the guts to ask him to take out all the eggs and place a mat in the tray.

If you want some Hedemora eggs (Swedish land race - best bird in the world) you can have as many eggs as you want!!! Thank you so much for all your help - I will keep you posted when I return from the outback!

big_smile.png
Good luck
thumbsup.gif

I completely forgot about the cooling! I have turned it off now, but it is only 24 hours until hatching... It is also a bit stuffed in the big incubator, hardly any space between the eggs. Always something to worry about!!!

I completely forgot about the cooling! I have turned it off now, but it is only 24 hours until hatching... It is also a bit stuffed in the big incubator, hardly any space between the eggs. Always something to worry about!!!
I'm sorry, I just saw this. I should have mentioned the cooling, but I don't use it so I didn't think about it. Is it only set for an hour? If you turned it off before any pips I don't think it would hurt anything. I also wouldn't worry about the incubator being stuffed. Mine always is and they hatch just fine. I'll post some pics at the bottom of this.
Are you getting any action yet? I'm curious to see your results using the cooldown.

Yay! Serious popcorn time in my bator - 28 of 30 viable eggs hatched - I had chick almost to the roof of the incubator last morning. The last one hatched this morning. And I have already sold 24 of them at 450 USD! I am going to be the first chicken millionaire in the Kingdom of Norway
wee.gif

I planned to keep about 10, but I can get eggs from three new blood lines this autumn, so I decided to sell them all - even though it is a bit sad to let them all go, but it is more important to get a healthy breeding stock for such a small breed.

Yay! Serious popcorn time in my bator - 28 of 30 viable eggs hatched - I had chick almost to the roof of the incubator last morning. The last one hatched this morning. And I have already sold 24 of them at 450 USD! I am going to be the first chicken millionaire in the Kingdom of Norway
wee.gif

I planned to keep about 10, but I can get eggs from three new blood lines this autumn, so I decided to sell them all - even though it is a bit sad to let them all go, but it is more important to get a healthy breeding stock for such a small breed.
That's great! I was going to post today and ask you how it went. You are the first person I have talked to that used the cooldown. I may have to try it next time. You are getting almost $20US for day old chicks? Wow!

Thanks!

Our currency is a bit down now with the oil price and the chaos in the Greek economy, so now it is only 12,5 USD per chick - but it doesn't matter since I don't export to the US - though my breed is pretty popular in the colder area of the US (Hedemora breed from Scandinavia). Thanks again for all your hand-holding during the incubation
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom