HELP needed ASAP

Autumnfae611

In the Brooder
Mar 30, 2016
One of my broody hens left her eggs, as one exploded and was bad. When cleaning them all out one starting peeping and had pipped. I have no idea how far a long it is in the hatching process. I quickly put it in the incubator. It is peeping but does not move at all. How long should I wait before I assist? Like I said I have no clue how long since it has pipped, and the egg was very cold when I got to it. It is also super humid where I am right now, so trying to regulate the humidity quickly is a challenge. Thanks!!!! If she hatches I will name her lucky! Poor baby!

I believe it can take up to 24 hours for some chicks to hatch. You might want to look up Sally Sunshine's assisted hatching thread. I believe she begins it with instructions for when to assist and when to sit back and wait.

Good luck.

Wow, that's a tough one, and good job on the save. Higher humidity can actually help since the egg has pipped.

Are the membranes around the pip white and flexible or do they look dry and leathery?

White and flexible.... The humidity has been going back and forth between 40% and 60% and the heat goes up and down between 100 and 105. Its so hot and humid right now and we dont have central air or anything so I can control the house temp. I am using a still are foam bator.

White and flexible is good. Since you don't know how long it's been pipped or how long it was out in the nest-box, it's kind of a guessing game. Like Puddin Puff said, you should probably read the assisted hatching info and be prepared to assist just in case the chick is glued into the eggshell.

Her's a link. Tons of info, but it's good. https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/step-by-step-guide-to-assisted-hatching

Try and get your humidity up if you can, by adding a washcloth dipped in very warm water to your incubator.

Back
Top Bottom