HELP NEEDED ON WHEN TO HELP

sharron123

In the Brooder
Aug 20, 2016
Hi this is my first time incubating i had a chick hatch yeaterday an a day 24 egg external pip but not hatched its been 17hrs now an no change getting worried now should i wait or help it i also noticed my other egg as external pipped sometime through the night
I dont know what is best to do thanks

Day 24 sounds like your temp is a bit low, have you checked your thermometer?

As for the pip, the general rule of thumb is to give it 24hrs from pip to zip, and an hour to finish zipping once it starts... is it peeping? Poking at the pip at all?

Considering another just pipped, I'd give them more time, myself... :)

Last edited:
My temp as been the same its 37.5 an have two chicks that hatched at 19 days. only chirpping i hear is coming from chick thats in there as everytime the chick sees me it starts chirpping is the 24 hrs from pip to zip if there around 21 days or is it same for later ones as well thanks

I have 3 out of 5 eggs that have hatched an the other two have pipped

Odd that one hatched day 19 and other is on day 24, sounds like there could be hot and cool spots in the bator...

I'd give it time still, even being late... some take a bit more time to be ready...

Good idea... and if you do get worried, you can open the shell over the air cell, just don't tear the inner membrane over the chick and apply a tiny bit of vaseline or antibiotic ointment w/out painreliever to see if the veins have receded or not and to keep the membrane moist...

Last edited:
Thank you for your help both eggs hatched on there own i now have five happy little chicks out of five that went in lockdown so happy will post pics of them later :ya :love

Back
Top Bottom