Help needed sudden unexplained dead duck plus entire flock clearly distressed

She said they don't have any close she would have to do it herself.

I think you should get some kind of game camera set up to video their coop, run and surrounding area.
It sounds like either a predator attacked and then took off or your neighbor did it. Probably your neighbor. I would put up a game cam or even a couple of them to see if you can catch her in the act. Some people hurt others to feel better about themselves and she sounds like one of those people. I'm verry sorry.
A necropsy might help, but my guess would be that she grabbed your drake and broke his neck. He would have been fighting for his life, thrashing and screaming, which terrified the rest of the flock.
I really hope this neighbor leaves you alone now.
Please keep us updated.
that's what's my money is on!

I would also think the neighbor might be responsible, especially after having made the threatening comments. Your offer to help her treat her bird for the SLM was clearly taken very poorly, though I probably would have stopped well short of telling her you would call the SPCA on her. (Either do it, or don’t mention it) When someone starts going ballistic on you over something small I’ve found the best response is “I’m sorry you’re upset, if you would like my help with this I have some experience with it.” Then politely excuse yourself.

Back
Top Bottom