Help needed with RIR X LIGHT SUSSEX

These are the parents

The father does look like a heritage RIR with those dark (mahogany) red feathers. I'm not sure why your getting the slightly different shades, but I think it's safe to say that your chicks are Red Sex Links. Stripes aside (an interesting genetic quirk), the light ones are males and the dark ones are females.

The father does look like a heritage RIR with those dark (mahogany) red feathers. I'm not sure why your getting the slightly different shades, but I think it's safe to say that your chicks are Red Sex Links. Stripes aside (an interesting genetic quirk), the light ones are males and the dark ones are females.
Well now I have even more whitey ones and few more brownish with stripes, but now I also have golden ones without anything on them no stripes or marks?? I don't understand how I'm suppose to know which is which now or why I have three different looking chicks!

Well now I have even more whitey ones and few more brownish with stripes, but now I also have golden ones without anything on them no stripes or marks?? I don't understand how I'm suppose to know which is which now or why I have three different looking chicks!

I'm thinking one or more of your hens might have something else in it's history besides Light Sussex and as a result may lack the silver factor necessary for Red Sex Links, but even though I've bred both Red and Black Sex Links I'm far from an expert on their genetics. I would suggest sending a PM to donrae, who is very good with genetics and breeding sex links, at https://www.backyardchickens.com/u/60960/donrae. Perhaps she can give you some answers.

Why do these light Sussex have black peppering in the white areas ?that's not supposed to be possible with a pure eWh/eWh Light Sussex. I wonder if your light Sussex could be e+/eWh? if that were so, it might let some of that black peppering bleeding through and it could account for the stripes on the backs of the chicks... which might be e+ manifesting part way. What color are the Sussex legs?
Best ,
Karen

Back
Top Bottom