Help needed

I guess leaving the coop door open would really depend on how secure the run is. My Run it’s more secure than my coupe. My rooster and his number one lady are hardheaded and want to sleep on top of the chicken coop so I made sure the run was impenetrable

Thanks for all the feedback. Our coop is 4x10 and very secure and the run area is probably about 13’x13’ now. I’m usually home and when we do go away I have a someone who can come over and check that the girls are in their coop. Should I close their little chicken door at night? My SIL leaves hers open 24/7 and all hers go in their coop. Run will be fully enclosed and secure. Pray for the best
If you are using chicken wire, yes, close them up at night.
So did you use chicken wire and hw cloth or just using those words interchangeably?

Yes. The HW cloth is secure to prevent digging and anything managing to get through with over 2’ of dirt on top of that
Oh, 2 feet should be deep enough...the only go about a foot deep.
upload_2018-5-16_7-27-57.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-5-16_7-27-12.png
    upload_2018-5-16_7-27-12.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 3
I always find these discussions incredibly interesting, almost as interesting as the coop space/size discussions. What I can never understand is you have people that insist that the only thing animals can't get through is HWC, but then in the same sentence will tell you how they only use it on the first 2 feet of their run and then the rest is field fencing. I don't understand this, because we also warn everyone how predators can climb right up smooth panel walls with no problems, yet they can't climb above the 2 feet of HWC? Or we tell folks that you can't use chicken wire because predators can basically walk through it and you can't use field fencing because the holes in it are too big, yet if you cover those giant holes with the flimsy chicken wire, it works fine? The biggest secret that no one wants to admit is that the HWC you're probably buying, is the same gauge as the chicken wire, but is miraculously stronger?

Plenty of people use various fencing options and never lose a bird. Use what works for you and what you can afford.

Like I said, interesting topic.

As far as first few feet basically so snakes don’t come eat my eggs. Field fencing in my run covered with layer of chicken wire so it has strength and the holes are now smaller 2”x4” galv. fencing with the chicken wire is one suggestion 2”x4” holes are not that large. Sometimes the way a fence is made gives it more strength. I think here people are trying to give helpful suggestions and experiences... not saying some people are wrong and right. I think suggestions help because it gives you things to think about and apply ideas to what fits your needs
I always find these discussions incredibly interesting, almost as interesting as the coop space/size discussions. What I can never understand is you have people that insist that the only thing animals can't get through is HWC, but then in the same sentence will tell you how they only use it on the first 2 feet of their run and then the rest is field fencing. I don't understand this, because we also warn everyone how predators can climb right up smooth panel walls with no problems, yet they can't climb above the 2 feet of HWC? Or we tell folks that you can't use chicken wire because predators can basically walk through it and you can't use field fencing because the holes in it are too big, yet if you cover those giant holes with the flimsy chicken wire, it works fine? The biggest secret that no one wants to admit is that the HWC you're probably buying, is the same gauge as the chicken wire, but is miraculously stronger?

Plenty of people use various fencing options and never lose a bird. Use what works for you and what you can afford.

Like I said, interesting topic.

I know it all depends on your location...but I’ve used chicken wire for the run for almost 2 years now and have not lost a chicken. I’ve heard coyote, I’ve seen foxes, cats, dogs, MAYBE even a Bobcat (can’t confirm, but pretty sure). No signs of breaking and entering.

I don’t know if it helps...but the dog “marks his territory” along the fence almost every day.

My runs are not really big 20x20 because my birds are out ranging all day. My coops and runs are plywood and hardware cloth only. I have only lost one pullet to predators the whole time it was a hawk during migration. The best thing for you to do is build what you want and buy what you can afford. After you get set up you can always modify and make better a little at a time

And I’m not sure what HW cloth your using but mine is always higher gauge than chicken wire

HWC from the big box stores is 19 gauge and the stuff on Amazon ranges from 19-24 gauge. Chicken wire from both will range from 19-20 gauge, so, it's not very different.

Don’t use amazon but 19 and 24 side by side are different. But the way something is constructed has a lot to do with the strength of something. I was just suggesting what I use to avoid the cost of hardware cloth and has worked to keep my chickens very safe. The combination of the chicken wire and 2“ x 4“ galvanized fencing has worked very well for me. It may not be the ideal set up for everybody. But I guess that’s why were all here to suggest different things So people can decide what’s right and best for their set up.

Back
Top Bottom