HELP! New chickens dying off one by one

AllChookUp

Will Shut Up for Chocolate
11 Years
May 7, 2008
Frozen Lake, MN
I have a number of new chickens that are about 5 months old. They are now mixed with my older chickens and seem to be getting along well, except they choose to stay out in the run at night on a perch, instead of perch on the roost inside the coop with the older chickens. I'm expecting that to change as the nights begin to get colder here in MN.

My new chickens seem to have some type of disease that I can't pinpoint. It progresses as follows: First they seem to slow down, then one eye swells shut, followed by the other eye, and then death - All within a couple days.

My coop & run are relatively clean, being I work from home so I can clean it every day. It's about time for me to change out the pine shavings, but I have DE mixed in with it, and turn it every day to keep it as fresh as posasible.

I just started putting Apple Cider Vinegar in their water, but had not been doing that through the summer.

Is it possibly some type of respiratory infection? I haven't done any necropsy, so I don't know (and I am not experienced at necropsies).

I've lost three out of nine new chickens and don't want to lose any more. Any ideas?

ANY HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED! Thanks.

any other symptoms? breathing, watery, discolored eyes, change in feces?

some possibilities
infectious laryngotracheitis
infectious bronchitis
influenza

I have a number of new chickens that are about 5 months old. They are now mixed with my older chickens and seem to be getting along well, except they choose to stay out in the run at night on a perch, instead of perch on the roost inside the coop with the older chickens. I'm expecting that to change as the nights begin to get colder here in MN.

My new chickens seem to have some type of disease that I can't pinpoint. It progresses as follows: First they seem to slow down, then one eye swells shut, followed by the other eye, and then death - All within a couple days.

My coop & run are relatively clean, being I work from home so I can clean it every day. It's about time for me to change out the pine shavings, but I have DE mixed in with it, and turn it every day to keep it as fresh as possible.

I just started putting Apple Cider Vinegar in their water, but had not been doing that through the summer.

Is it possibly some type of respiratory infection? I haven't done any necropsy, so I don't know (and I am not experienced at necropsy's).

I've lost three out of nine new chickens and don't want to lose any more. Any ideas?

ANY HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED! Thanks.
I really have not dealt with this ,maybe you could get a stool sample to a vet... could be some sort of parasite? have you looked up swollen eyes and death on line? may be some help there,,,, I don't know the symptoms of MG, but that has to do with upper respiratory...
you may want to separate these from the older hens till you find out...hope someone with more experience chimes in

Stools seem OK, but separating them back out until I can figure this out seems like the best first step.
That would help me to keep track of their brreathing, eating habits, stool, etc.

I will check out infectious laryngotracheitis and bronchitis more online.

Thanks!

Updated info: One chicken was extending it's neck out, trying to breathe. I looked up the symptoms of ILT, and that seems to fit.
I can separate the newer chickens, but I'm coming up empty on a treatment. Good info on vaccines before the fact, but now that they have this, not much info on a cure/treatment...

Sad to be losing such beautiful birds.

Last edited:
I heard from a friend that a possible treatment is puttingg "tryamieasine" in the chicken's water for a week. I've Googled "tryamieasine" with no results, so I'm thinking he may have misspelled it.

Anyone know what he is referring to? He says in comes in little packets, so it must be a powder, and runs about $3.50 a packet.

Any ideas?

Sorry to hear about your new girls. I new at raising chickens but would like to help. What is IVT

When you say new chickens, how long have you had them? Most recommendations for new birds are to isolate them from your other birds for at least 3 weeks before introducing them, so that if they have any illnesses you do not expose your older birds. Any sick birds should be separated into a warm, quiet place with separate food and water until they recover.

Tylan Soluble is tylosin tartrate BP (Vet) a white to medium yellow coloured soluble powder for oral solution. I get it at Tractor Supply. 1 tbsp per gallon of water. 1 packet lasts about 12 gallons. Cost 5.40.

wmroth and 1muttsfan - I have had these chickens about 4 months, since they were 6 weeks old. I had them in a fenced-off area until about one month ago, so I feel they were isolated for a siufficient amount of time before integrating into the overall flock. Not sure how they could have caught this. I do let all my chickens out to roam the yard about every other afternoon.

Actually, I meant "ILT" - Infectious Layrngotracheitis. Lots of info on the web about it. Here's one very high-level source: http://mda.maryland.gov/pdf/infectious_laryngotracheitis_fact_sheet.pdf

DeWalt - "Tylan Soluble is tylosin tartrate BP". Is that the same/similar to the "tryamieasine" my friend had recommended? Or are you recommending it as a treatment for ILT?

Thanks for the info!

Back
Top Bottom