Help! New to chickens. After lots of research settled on Barred rocks because they are doile and are said to accept new members into the flock. Have

If you are really set on choosing for personality, I would go pick up some pullets from a local farm. Still, it isn't always good for chickens to be cuddly.

Our Barred Rocks are our sweeties. They’re friendly and sweet and funny. It’s our Gold Lace Wyandottes who are the little stinker pants! The Barred Rocks are my favorites along with our Black Jersey Giants.

I did a lot of research before chosing Barred Rock/Plymouth Rock chickens. It was difficult to get them as pullets but I am glad I persevered! They are very friendly (I even had several roosters and even they were docile) and other people who have visited my house who own chickens have commented on how friendly they are.

However, we spend A LOT of time with our chickens so I am sure that contributes. We talk to them, hand feed them, etc.

Flat out - chicken breeds 100% do not follow behavioral stereotypes. I don't care what Harry Homesteader writes on his blog, as he shows a picture of him throwing a handful of treats out to what appears to be a group of perfectly manicured, submissive, heritage breed hens!

A "sweet" chicken does not necessarily like you. They want what you have, or what you are going to give them. The chickens labeled as "not friendly" would rather not take the risk, because even though they see you feed and water them everyday, they still don't trust you. Each individual chickens mannerisms and attitude depends on how they chose to survive.

Chickens do have an emotional aspect, of course, because they are a living thing. The feel sadness or depression for instance, when locked in a cage.... because they aren't able to do chicken things. Not because they miss Harry Homesteader.

too often we attempt to apply human traits, or those of a dog to a chicken. A chicken wakes up everyday interested in how they are going to survive. You are just a pawn in that game of survival 😉

Last edited:
I don't want them for pets, I want them for eggs. We picked them up and held them as babies and I feed them mealworms from my hands. I have 12 older birds and some are a month younger. I put the younger birds in the run with them and thought the older birds were going to kill them(so much for them accepting other birds into the flock easily). At just under 16 weeks, is there a definitive way to determine their sex? I bought straight run pullets but think there is a rooster in the henhouse. Thanks for any help.

So, introductions with chickens are best done with 1-3 weeks in a "look can't touch" situation. You want the younger ones either behind a fence that they can be seen still, or in a fence that they can get through that the bigger ones can't. Once the older birds have seen them for a while they accept them as part of the flock, and not as intruders. There will be some hazing as the pecking order gets established, but after that it should be peaceful again.

They also need a lot of space during introductions, so the little ones can get away, and the older ones don't feel like their space is so limited that new chickens are threatening it.

You can usually determine sex at around 6 weeks by the size of the comb. At 16 weeks you can often tell because they will be crowing or laying (some breeds at least) at that point.

If you got straight run chicks and you only have one rooster you should kiss your lucky boots. Most folks that get straight run end up with about 75% cockerels, I'd say.

You can post photos of your birds, or at least your suspected cockerel. Get photos of the comb, and a side profile and we should be able to tell you.

Back
Top Bottom