Help! New to chickens. After lots of research settled on Barred rocks because they are doile and are said to accept new members into the flock. Have

I do like to handle them all, because I look them over often to make sure they're healthy and of a good weight. I check crops, feet, feathers, skin, vents, eyes, etc. all up close and hands on.

Our BPRs are very tame. Some moreso than others. A couple of them love to be held or to sit on my shoulder. I realize they are completely food-driven, but I rarely hand out treats and it's my son that fills the feeders. I have one pullet that will fall asleep almost instantly when I hold her and she'll hang her head over my arm, totally conked out. We didn't handle them much as babies, only to move from one brooder to another.

Orpingtons are said to be super docile and friendly and I've found that to be true in my experience, but we have one that's like Birdzilla in the flock. She's huge and pecks any bird that gets near her other than the rooster. She bit my thumb when i got too close. I had my phone in my other hand, and moved it closer to her to see if it was a one-off reaction and she grabbed my phone and yanked it. Fortunately for her, she's a great layer. 😊

This personality by breed is such a lot of nonsense.:lol:
Many many years ago, the original breeds may have exhibited differing charactaristics in the environments they were bred in.
What one might infer from the physical charactatistics is a little about their behaviour; an example being, fat birds don't fly.:p

Chicken's are crazy and almost NEVER follow breed stereotypes but I can say I've had a lot of fun with my Rhode Isalnd Red hens and they've always veen one of my favorite breeds. Idk if buying for the breed with chickens is quite accurate though and it just depends of the chicken.

Flat out - chicken breeds 100% do not follow behavioral stereotypes. I don't care what Harry Homesteader writes on his blog, as he shows a picture of him throwing a handful of treats out to what appears to be a group of perfectly manicured, submissive, heritage breed hens!

A "sweet" chicken does not necessarily like you. They want what you have, or what you are going to give them. The chickens labeled as "not friendly" would rather not take the risk, because even though they see you feed and water them everyday, they still don't trust you. Each individual chickens mannerisms and attitude depends on how they chose to survive.

Chickens do have an emotional aspect, of course, because they are a living thing. The feel sadness or depression for instance, when locked in a cage.... because they aren't able to do chicken things. Not because they miss Harry Homesteader.

too often we attempt to apply human traits, or those of a dog to a chicken. A chicken wakes up everyday interested in how they are going to survive. You are just a pawn in that game of survival 😉
I agree with all you’re saying. We do not have our chickens for pets but we do have two Barred Rocks and two Jersey Giants that will come to my husband and I at night when we sit on our swing and watch the chickens peck 😊. They jump up on the swing in between us and lay down for pets, no food motivation. It warms our hearts, whether they care about us or don’t, it just makes it all that much sweeter. We love to watch their little personalities.

Back
Top Bottom