Help. New to hatching eggs with my kids

solg

Hatching
Aug 6, 2015
Hi all.
I build a incubator with my kids and put in fertile eggs. Now 6pm the 20th day is over and 21st day starting I do not hear or see any signs of sounds cracks or pips from none of the 10 eggs should I be woried?

Have you candled them at all to make sure they were growing?

21 days is an estimate not an exact thing, slightly cooler temps can delay a hatch... Even in perfect conditions hatching will be spread over several hours or even an entire day once it starts...

Since you are just now entering the last day, it's a little too early to worry you generally won't see anything this early... You won't hear any peeps or see any pips until shorty before they start to zip in most cases (although that comes with another wait, some pip and zip instantly, others pip, take a deep breath and take a nap before they zip, this nap can be 24 hours at times)... What you might see on day 20 going into 21 is some egg movement as the chick gets in position to pip or if you are very careful you can pick up an egg and hold it to your ear and tap the airsack side with your nails, if the chick has pipped internally into the airsack they will almost always chirp back to your nail tap, but it's real faint thus holding it to your ear... This requires you to break 'lockdown' for me it's not a concern I don't do lockdowns, but for others it can be concerning, it's advisable to have a spray bottle of warm water handy, carefully remove the egg do your nail tap test and replace the egg, when done before your close the incubator spray a few pumps out of the spray bottle into the incubator to restore humidity levels...

The last day is the worst, but waiting it out is all you can do, and hope for the best...

Thank you.
Problem is I reliazed that my egg Turner was aprox 3 inches above the floor suface when the thermometer showed 99 but when I removed the egg Turner and placed the eggs on floor at day 18 I should of raised the temp since heat rises.
I went to wall mart got another thermometer and placed it on floor next to eggs and showed 95 degree so I raised the temp and new thermometer shows now 99.5 did I kill the chicks or do I still have hope?

You still have hope, all you can do is wait a few degrees low should just delay a hatch... Also worth noting is air temp changes much more rapidly and is not a true accurate representation of the internal egg temp, the eggs temps will be the average of the air temp over a period of time...

Back
Top Bottom