Help! New with wood ducks and had one die. I do not know why.

Well usually you don't buy babies but breed your own or know a breeder that would. He will take time to adapt and you have to think that he's the only duck and there's no other ducks that are in that pen swimming around knowing there is no predator around. He will come around it takes time don't frighten him to much and let him make himself at home.

It's hard when he doesn't have other ducks to settle in with but he will in time. Good luck remember that slow and steady wins the race with these wild breed ducks.

You gotta remember most exotic ducks are way different then domesticated ducks. They are bigger and talk a different language. You have to think of there natural environment. You don't see woodies flying around with Perkins and blue swedes. Wild ducks are a way different duck then domestics. So if you want more exotics really try to imagine how you would see them in the wild and what other ducks they hang with. A wood duck knows it doesn't stand a chance against a huge domestic and won't get to close or feel comfy around it. Good luck hope what ever happened doesn't again and don't let it stop you from having what you like

I think Norcallbirds was actually referring to if you raised some then you may have better luck with the ducklings being a little less wild . Wood ducks ducklings are very delicate and can be sometimes be quite challenging to rear. I do not know of any breeders that will sell wood duck ducklings. Personally, I don't think they could survive shipping unless they were already several weeks old and even then I"m not so sure.

I have another pair coming in but I do not know if I can put them together, will the males fight? He is doing much better since I put him in the bigger pen. He actually came out this morning when I looked in the house and wasn't near as scared as he was before I put him in the bigger pen.

Last edited:
I'm sure they will be okay together as long as they have plenty of room. When you get a "pair" of birds they usually are not a real pair unless they are proven older birds your just getting a male and female. Usually they do pair up but sometimes they don't so remember that.

It shouldn't either way. I would try to find another female when you can so the males don't spend all there time fighting each other and spend time breeding. You will figure it one way or another every animal is different what works for me may not be the case for you.

Back
Top Bottom