Help newbie to hatching!!

14chickmama

Chirping
9 Years
Jan 6, 2011
Help. Newbie to hatching!!
As far as I know I have 1 chick so far out of 7 eggs. Is it ok to take it away from my broody hen and put it in the brooder???

2 chicks
smile.png

You can but I found it's much easier to leave them with momma, I have a 8 day old chick and I left him with his moma and she's sitting on 2 eggs for me. I like leaving them with their momma's because I don't have to worry about finding the right temp even though i have a heat lamp in their enlosure to knock the chill off at night

Thank you!!! I would live to leave them with mama but they are in the coop with all the other chickens so I worry that they'll die if one of the other chickens get to them. There are 2 chicks and 7 eggs under her. Right now I kinda kicked everyone out if the coop except mama and babies until I know what I'm doing. My hen was so broody that I just said ah wth let her hatch some eggs and now them 3 weeks went very fast and the babies are here. Lol. They are sooooo cute!!

You have to be careful that the others won't attack the little chicks! I would probably take them from mom. Even though mom does a better job of raising them and keeping them warm. I've seen hens that have never attacked little chicks all of a sudden attack! It can happen so fast.

I have placed wire rings around setting hens and chicks, that way the other chickens don't disturb the nest. this keeps other hens from wanting to set with them, and possibly` braking an egg or pecking at a newly hatched chick. I've also found that if they have been a part of the flock for awhile everyone seems to be quit accepting to the young chicks.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom