Help Newly Hatched Toulouse gosling

frostfamilyvt

Hatching
Jun 26, 2015
My Gosling hatched out of its egg last night at about 4 a.m. It is still not walking it does try and take a few steps and drags its stomach is that normal? How long does it take for them to walk? A little incite it was a incubator egg. After piping on day two it was stuck in its shell I had to assist it. Notice before it was completely out of its egg that its yoke was not fully absorbed so we kept it in the incubator until it made its way out of the egg at 4 a.m. I have noticed it drags itself to the water and take a few sips and it also has a 5 day old Indian Runner duckling with it that it keeps trying to follow around. Any advice would be very helpful I have successfully assist hatched 4 Indian Runner Ducklings and they seemed to be very peppy after so Im a bit concerned with this Gosling.

Last edited:
My Gosling hatched out of its egg last night at about 4 a.m. It is still not walking it does try and take a few steps and drags its stomach is that normal? How long does it take for them to walk? A little incite it was a incubator egg. After piping on day two it was stuck in its shell I had to assist it. Notice before it was completely out of its egg that its yoke was not fully absorbed so we kept it in the incubator until it made its way out of the egg at 4 a.m. I have noticed it drags itself to the water and take a few sips and it also has a 5 day old Indian Runner duckling with it that it keeps trying to follow around. Any advice would be very helpful I have successfully assist hatched 4 Indian Runner Ducklings and they seemed to be very peppy after so Im a bit concerned with this Gosling.
still early they need more time to get over hatching than ducklings do just keep an eye on the yolk sac keep it as clean as you can to avoid infection and make sure the duckling doesn't mess with it if it's still not completely absorbed.

Welcome to BYC

Thank you for your reply. Still no walking for the baby, it sorta hops I've yet to see it actually stand. Can tell it is very weak =( hopefully it will perk up our Indian runner duckling is being a good friend and stick near its side.

Thank you for your reply. Still no walking for the baby, it sorta hops I've yet to see it actually stand. Can tell it is very weak =( hopefully it will perk up our Indian runner duckling is being a good friend and stick near its side.
Is it drinking and eating/ if you have poultry vitamins add some to there water for some additional support. and I'd look into getting some Niacin supplements 100-150 meg per gallon of water "Plain Niacin' GNC carries it. Alot of water fowl suffer from niacin dif. not that yours has at such a early time but with it already weak starting it with the niacin sure can help. safe for Runner duckling too. If you have poultry vitamins check to see if it has B3[Niacin]

Last edited:
I will go to rite aid tomorrow and get some see if it will help I have not seen it eating but I have seen it drink. Thank you for the advise.

I will go to rite aid tomorrow and get some see if it will help I have not seen it eating but I have seen it drink. Thank you for the advise.
Usually after 3-5 days on vitamin support they start to walk again. Hopefully your lil one will begin to show sings of improvement pretty quick. I would try and get some Poultry Nutri drench and begin giving that to the gosling straight out of the bottle to start it goes straight into the blood stream and is great for weak babies. just drip right into the mouth not down the throat. TSC carries it. it can also be used in the water but giving straight first may help get it started better. get the niacin or Brewers yeast too because they will need to be on it for at least 10 weeks.

Thank you and I will remember that in the future sadly the gosling passed away today in my hands. I noticed last night there was a rattling in its chest when it was breathing. I was still feeling hopeful it took 4 steps and seems to be eating and drinking but I think something was wrong internally. We've had a lot of success with our ducklings and haven't lost one yet so I guess it was bound to happen just very upsetting when you so much hard work into them and they die. Its little buddy the Indian Runner duckling is besides itself right now and wont stop crying. We were hoping the Gosling would be its companion since we have another clutch of ducklings but they are about a month and 1/2 and older and attack it.

Thank you and I will remember that in the future sadly the gosling passed away today in my hands. I noticed last night there was a rattling in its chest when it was breathing. I was still feeling hopeful it took 4 steps and seems to be eating and drinking but I think something was wrong internally. We've had a lot of success with our ducklings and haven't lost one yet so I guess it was bound to happen just very upsetting when you so much hard work into them and they die. Its little buddy the Indian Runner duckling is besides itself right now and wont stop crying. We were hoping the Gosling would be its companion since we have another clutch of ducklings but they are about a month and 1/2 and older and attack it.
I'm very sorry. If you have a stuffed animal the Runner may take to it and a mirror that doesn't have sharp edges will help too they love to look at themselves.

Back
Top Bottom