HELP!!! Nigerian Doe showing skelatal bones

fergyc2l2t316

Songster
7 Years
Jun 22, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
Hi, I hope someone can help me with this. I have a Nigerian goat and she is really big. Her abdomen sticks out like she is pregnant, which is a big possibility since my males found a way out into the my girls pen. Anyhow, the problem is this; her shoulder, hips and spine are very promenant but she is not skinny. She is eating and drinking, basically everything is fine except for the skeletal part is concerning. She is not bloated nor is she in any pain or discomfort. Also she keeps licking or sticking her tongue out over and over. We havn't changed her food, water, nor has she been roaming since I know that the other 4 girls are pregnant. Please please help.

Thanks
Timi

Does she have an udder? My goat gets like that really early on her pregnancies. If she has an udder maybe she's just dropped her baby(ies) and is getting ready to kid.

Thanks for the replies. I went outside the next morning to take pictures and she had passed away during the night. I don't know what she died of. I'm so upset that I was unable to help her. I tried everything that was possible. I don't know if she had toxemia or anything pregnancy related. I believe that she was pregnant but was not 100% sure. Rest in peace Blue Rose

Thanks for the replies. I went outside the next morning to take pictures and she had passed away during the night. I don't know what she died of. I'm so upset that I was unable to help her. I tried everything that was possible. I don't know if she had toxemia or anything pregnancy related. I believe that she was pregnant but was not 100% sure. Rest in peace Blue Rose

DO NOT bury or dispose of her yet. If you want to know what happened, you need to get her to a vet ASAP for a necropsy. That is the only way for a conclusive diagnosis at this point.

Just a thought. If her belly was big, but her bones were protruding, there is a good chance she had an impacted rumen. If the rumen is full of indigestible items like acorns, plastic, pieces of tarp, etc. the goat will look full but she won't be able to eat enough to sustain her.

Animals who are ridiculously full of worms often look bloated. A heavy worm load will rapidly cause a goat to lose body condition. The worms in the gut absorb nutrients that are consumed by the animal.

Plus, an animal who is starving can also develop ascites, a fluid buildup in the abdomen. Their blood protien levels fall so low that the osmotic pressure in the blood plasma pushes fluid from the cardiovascular system into the intraperitoneal space. That is why images of starving children show skeletal bodies with huge, bloated bellies.

My husband had buried her even though I told him that I wanted her to have an autopsy done on her. I was even willing to do it myself. (premed student) but he buried her really quickly. Also she only ate her hay and nothing else. We keep our property clean so that non of the animals can get into trouble. They also get their worm medicine and shots. I would be surprised if she had worms. No others have any signs like this and they all eat the same thing. Their pens are clean to prevent this and we have ducks and chickens that are always over there eating bugs. So I don't know and I can't check her since my husband was to quick to bury her. Thanks again for the advice. At least I have some ideas in case it shows up again, God forbid.

My husband had buried her even though I told him that I wanted her to have an autopsy done on her. I was even willing to do it myself. (premed student) but he buried her really quickly. Also she only ate her hay and nothing else. We keep our property clean so that non of the animals can get into trouble. They also get their worm medicine and shots. I would be surprised if she had worms. No others have any signs like this and they all eat the same thing. Their pens are clean to prevent this and we have ducks and chickens that are always over there eating bugs. So I don't know and I can't check her since my husband was to quick to bury her. Thanks again for the advice. At least I have some ideas in case it shows up again, God forbid.

A fecal test sent a vet is a simple way to determine if there is a worm load, how many, and what type. Given her body condition, worms are a strong possibility.

What type of hay are the rest eating? Not all hay is created equal. Not all hays have a balanced calcium:phosphorus ratio. Or a high enough level of protein. What are you giving them for their mineral needs?

What is your worming schedule? Do you give them wormers without first making sure they actually need the medication (by having vet check fecal samples)? As you advance in medical school, you will quickly learn the term resistance, if you have not already. It doesn't just apply to bacteria and antibiotics. It also applies to parasites and antiparasitic medications. As a result, improper use can render them ineffective.

Yes you are correct on resistance. I didn't think about that. I will have to have my vet check them all. As far as hay?
they get a grass/alfalfa mix higher in alfalfa. Its what we feed out horses. I have never had any problems with my goats and the rest are doing great. Thanks for the info. They do get minerals in their salt block and in their goat feed. Its from Purina. Also, we don't give a lot to them because they get fat.
Thanks

Back
Top Bottom