Help on how to incorporate 8.5 week old chick with full grown hen

FattyChickens

In the Brooder
Mar 31, 2023
So I have two one year old hens, both easter eggers. They're chunky girls, but the chick i want to add to their little hen flock is a japanese bantam and she's 8.5 weeks old. I worry that the size difference could mean that she'll never be safe to be left alone with them. For reference she's about 1/5th the size of one of the full grown hens
I did put her in their cage for 5 mins earlier, they both kinda just stared at her and one of em gave her a peck but there was no blood or feather pulling. I know bullying is normal tho

It depends on the temperaments of the two hens. They may be just fine with the addition to the flock. You can only try them and watch what happens. A peck on the head to a new comer is how chickens welcome a new flock member. It doesn't mean they are being bullies. If they take up chase and won't leave the chick alone, then you may have a problem.

Since there are just the two adults and one chick, it's relatively simple integrating them. Just be sure the chick has no way of being cornered without an avenue of escape. It's when there is too little space for the youngster to get away that you risk having a tragic outcome.

So I have two one year old hens, both easter eggers. They're chunky girls, but the chick i want to add to their little hen flock is a japanese bantam and she's 8.5 weeks old. I worry that the size difference could mean that she'll never be safe to be left alone with them. For reference she's about 1/5th the size of one of the full grown hens
I did put her in their cage for 5 mins earlier, they both kinda just stared at her and one of em gave her a peck but there was no blood or feather pulling. I know bullying is normal tho
I have been going through the same thing I am adding one rooster and two hens our first attempt the rooster went head to head with one of the hen and lost. He’s fine. I put the new ones in the coop while the others are in the run which is seperated they fought a lot the first day but as the days went on they have stopped fighting completely and they are socializing between the bars I am going to let them free range together tomorrow.

I have been going through the same thing I am adding one rooster and two hens our first attempt the rooster went head to head with one of the hen and lost. He’s fine. I put the new ones in the coop while the others are in the run which is seperated they fought a lot the first day but as the days went on they have stopped fighting completely and they are socializing between the bars I am going to let them free range together tomorrow.
Keep there sleeping area separated till they are all the same size. Free ranging them is fine.

It depends on the temperaments of the two hens. They may be just fine with the addition to the flock. You can only try them and watch what happens. A peck on the head to a new comer is how chickens welcome a new flock member. It doesn't mean they are being bullies. If they take up chase and won't leave the chick alone, then you may have a problem.

Since there are just the two adults and one chick, it's relatively simple integrating them. Just be sure the chick has no way of being cornered without an avenue of escape. It's when there is too little space for the youngster to get away that you risk having a tragic outcome.
So I've taken this into consideration and set up a little separate spot away from their coop, I put the big girls in and then the small girls in. One of them pecked her very lightly but they really didn't seem to mind her.
The only thing is, is that the space i give them is relatively small and I need to try to add some shelving to their coop before I try to actually leave her in there because there's definitely opportunity for them to corner her in there.

Back
Top Bottom