Help Others!

thank you for the info! Ok so I haven't introduced any new birds since I got my chicks to begin with. I actually did check out the chicken chic poo chart and yeah, everything looks good. The remaining 4 are looking good still. I've read about ACV used in their water, but not the bleach? What does it do? How do you know it doesn't do any damage? just wondering. And again, thank you for the insight!!!

Bleach in very small amounts. Capful per gallon. It was used to fight off the fowl pox. I was very hesitant. Then came to the realization that our drinking water has been treated with clorine. I only had to do this regiment for a month. Good luck with yours.

@bmill88 , Hi! What you're going through is pretty normal. A chick can start off as the sweetest little fluff-ball and your best friend, then one day out of the blue, they want nothing to do with you. Welcome to the rebellious phase! Don't worry too much about it, they usually calm down after a while and they'll warm up to you again. Think ornery teenager. Good Luck!

um....anyone going to respond to my threads and links? that is what this thread is about! people can come and ask questions, and i post the threads of people who need help. some of the problems are resolved already, but one persons chick died.
hit.gif

~Marie

um....anyone going to respond to my threads and links? that is what this thread is about! people can come and ask questions, and i post the threads of people who need help. some of the problems are resolved already, but one persons chick died.:hit  
~Marie

I think you are underestimating and undermining the people who joined your thread. :(

I happened upon this thread and was hoping maybe I could get some info/advice. We are new chicken owner this year and not doing too well :( We started with 8 (lost one chick in the spring/early summer), a couple weeks ago one pullet got an eye infection that got worse despite treatment and when I had her out on the deck to keep an eye on her she squeezed through the gate and the dog got her. OK a chick and the dog....ok. Moving on, Friday my Jubilee Orp hen died! she had been a bit lethargic the day before but I just assumed she was hot orsimply more friendly than the rooster/polish/rhodebar pullets. She never did anything out of the ordinary other than stick closer to the coop during "free range time". I was/am really bummed :( I noticed the next day that one of my other pullets (cinnamon queen) was acting the same way?! stayed in the coop more than the others and was sitting more, that sort of thing. Again, nothing else I could notice. I thought maybe coccidiosis so I treat their water hoping to stop it before I lost anymore, but today I found her in the coop, dead. SOOOOOO my question is: am I doing something wrong? Or just bad luck?

They eat medicated feed, get scraps out of the garden and get out for some free range time each evening. I have the coop over cement (husband insisted) and I used to have some pine shavings on the ground there but it was difficult to keep clean so I don't have any currently. I spray the cement down each weekend to keep it clean and just stared spreading some DE to keep flies down. The run is connected to the coop so they can go back and forth and it is over dirt. We've had quite a bit of rain the past 2 weeks and its definitely moist dirt right now. Not muddy but not anywhere near dry. The chickens have access to plenty of dirt for dust baths. Plenty of water...shade...everything I can think of they need.

The coop itself we bought from a woman who used it for a summer but kept losing chicken to a predator. I didn't disinfect it when we got it but it was pretty clean. I keep pine shavings in it and clean the poop out each day or every two days at worst. I've taken all the bedding out twice already this summer.

I checked the dead birds for mites and didn't see mites or anything else. They look perfectly healthy and were eating and doing all normal things until a day or two before dying. No trouble breathing, no foul smells.

I'm trying to check poops more closely but I don't know exactly what I'm looking for? I've looked at some posts and I don't see anything really weird...maybe i'm not picking up on something though?

I would love if someone with more experience could tell me if I'm missing something? doing something wrong? I am down to 4 birds. Only other thing i can think to mention is my 3 year old likes to hold the chickens when she's out with me. It usually isn't much but always ends up holding the ones that die bc they don't apparently have the energy to run off (i'm putting two and two together at this point, at first I just thought they were the more friendly birds). My daughter isn't sick though and doesn't go anywhere besides grandma and grandpas house and they don't have any animals.

ANY helpful info or advice would really, really be appreciated! thanks
How old are your chicks? How long have you had them, and when did you lose the two that just seemed to up and die? Have you lost any since then? Sometimes they just fail to thrive and die with no apparent reason. Chickens can be tricky because they don't always show signs of illness until it's too late. . How big is your coop and run (feet x feet)? Is it big enough for proper ventilation? Can you post a picture of your setup? Lots of details and visuals can be helpful. Don't beat yourself up, and try not to get too discouraged - even the most experienced chicken keepers will lose birds now and then with no obvious reason. One thing to consider if you do keep losing them is to have a necropsy done. I'm not sure where you live or if that's even an option, but it's something to think about.
Sometimes you just go through a rotten spell. It can be quite aggravating and discouraging. Several years ago, I just had a month in which I lost 3 hens, just dead. Kind of scares you.

Until you really know what you have going on, or things quit dying, you might want to discourage your daughter from handling them, there are some diseases that will cross over, and we would not want her sick.

A couple of things to check, is the coop DRY. Sounds like the leaks are taken care of, but sometimes when the leaks are stopped, the ventilation is impaired. Chickens need a dry coop. I would put more bedding on the floor, throw scratch on top of it, and let them work it up, I would not recommend washing the coop floor once a week.

Keep a vigilant eye out, and remove anything questionable immediately. But really, my problem just went away. I never was too sure what happened, but sometimes chickens die.

Mrs K
X2

Chickensfan - I am not sure what the purpose of this thread is, if you look at the whole board, it is people writing in with questions and observations or experiences to help other people. You are not the forum manager.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom