Help! Peahen unable to stand

MoChkRch

Songster
6 Years
Apr 10, 2018
Peahen unable to stand...She was fine this morning, eating and visting on the back porch. My husband went out 4 or 5 hrs later and found her laying down on her side unable to stand. We checked to see if she is egg bound, and couldn't feel anything. She layed an egg yesterday, and seemed fine. But I've noticed her wings droopy more than usual. I don't know what to do? Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you!

Peahen unable to stand...She was fine this morning, eating and visting on the back porch. My husband went out 4 or 5 hrs later and found her laying down on her side unable to stand. We checked to see if she is egg bound, and couldn't feel anything. She layed an egg yesterday, and seemed fine. But I've noticed her wings droopy more than usual. I don't know what to do? Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you!
Quick update...She was egg bound.I have her in a separate pen, and gave her calcium gluconate. This morning she passed an egg. It was soft shelled. She seems to be doing better and standing on her own. But the concern I still have is that her wings are still really droopy? Do you think she may have another egg bound? I was able to give her some water with a syringe. She isn't eating as far as I can tell? What else can I do? Thanks for your time. * also it seems like she has runny poop? is this normal for the situtation?

Give her another 5ml orally and an injection of 4ml SQ. She is not processing the oyster shell so you may have to do regular treatments of CG. Be sure your CG is within the expiration date as it has a very short shelf life after being opened.

Give her another 5ml orally and an injection of 4ml SQ. She is not processing the oyster shell so you may have to do regular treatments of CG. Be sure your CG is within the expiration date as it has a very short shelf life after being opened.
Thanks for your reply! I will keep giving her CG. I'm not familiar with SQ?
injection of 4ml SQ

Thanks for your reply! I will keep giving her CG. I'm not familiar with SQ?
When you give shots there are two ways, one is IM, that is given in the muscle. The other is SQ which is just under the skin not in the muscle.
IMG_7599.JPG

Back
Top Bottom