Help Please Can anybody identify this and tell me what to do?

If reveloution only spreads on the skin and oil glands im not sure if it would work on depluming mites. Ivomec is absorbed through the skin into the bloodstream which is what i read was needed to get to those mites. I would try treating for favus first. Ivomec can be hard on a weak chicken.

I thought feathers lost their blood supply after a certain point? Depluming mites are hard to reach while in the feather, but they have to move across the skin to find a new feather to inhabit.

Cant offer help on the skin issue. BUT the roo I might. Don't recall if you said 1 or 2 eyes but if it is 1 eye I would suggest looking into the sinus cavity for some egg shell or other small foreign object in it. I just went through this with my 20 month old. I am not sure how to add a link to it but it is titled Pulled a fox tail and this mass.

also try flushing the sinus cavity out with saline, justkeep the head and neck pointed down so you don't drown him.

Cant offer help on the skin issue. BUT the roo I might. Don't recall if you said 1 or 2 eyes but if it is 1 eye I would suggest looking into the sinus cavity for some egg shell or other small foreign object in it. I just went through this with my 20 month old. I am not sure how to add a link to it but it is titled Pulled a fox tail and this mass.

also try flushing the sinus cavity out with saline, justkeep the head and neck pointed down so you don't drown him.
Here is your link:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1053341/pulled-a-fox-tail-and-this-mass#post_16135026

-Kathy

I thought feathers lost their blood supply after a certain point? Depluming mites are hard to reach while in the feather, but they have to move across the skin to find a new feather to inhabit.

That I don't know. I thought they burrowed under the skin and entered and stayed around the base of the feather to feed. I know at least two treatments were recommended at ten days apart to get any eggs that hatched and sometimes three treatments may be needed. They all seem to be growing feathers back again, so crossing my fingers it worked, if that was indeed what they had.

Wow! You weren't kidding! I finally got a chance to look at your postings about the mass and the foxtail in the eye..... I don't know if I could have handled something like that! Good job! Really amazing stuff. There does appear as if there may be a little something in one of his sinus cavities. Do you think it could be eggshell from hatching or perhaps a bit of food? I am so nervous when it comes to eye issues. I wanted to give an update on my little roo: I tried a course of tylan. As Kathy had suggested, I upped the dosage and stopped after 3 days because he was staying the same. I continued to wipe his eyes at least 2 times a day so he could see and the others wouldn't pick on him too much. A couple of days ago, I decided it was time to spring for some vetricyn eye wash for $28. I have been using it on him 2x daily to flush his eyes (both are affected, one a bit worse than the other). It seems to be helping him, but his eyes are still bubbling up a bit. It says on the bottle to use until no longer displaying symptoms, how long shall I give the vetricyn before moving on to something else? None of the others have eye symptoms, all are perfectly clear thank goodness. Just trying to cure this mystery eye condition of his.

Thank you for posting this link, and wow! His eyes look nothing like this..... just runny and kind of bubbly in the corners, can't seem to keep his eyes dry. Not sure what it is I am dealing with as the others are perfectly fine and haven't developed eye symptoms. Whatever he has mustn't be contagious. Any and all suggestions are welcome, the tylan did not clear it up so I stopped after 3 days.

Thank you for posting this link, and wow! His eyes look nothing like this..... just runny and kind of bubbly in the corners, can't seem to keep his eyes dry. Not sure what it is I am dealing with as the others are perfectly fine and haven't developed eye symptoms. Whatever he has mustn't be contagious. Any and all suggestions are welcome, the tylan did not clear it up so I stopped after 3 days.
Well, bubbling eyes are usually a sign of a respiratory illness. There are plenty of those too, so pinning it down is very difficult. You may just have to try a different antibiotic. If it's viral, that may not help. I think a good vit/mineral supplement in his water combined with medication may help him fight this off. If you want to cover all the bases, why don't you try some oil of oregano on him? I know you can't believe everything you read on the internet, but oil of oregano is said to be helpful to combat bacteria, fungus, yeast, parasites and viruses. Get one that will mix fairly well in water (I have found some that just solidify when they hit water) and try him on that for a while. I've been told it's bitter so you may have to get them use to it over time. Or mix with a bit of water and dose him with it directly in the crop. I don't have any idea how long they would have to take it though or what the best dosage would be. I'm thinking it may be more of a long term treatment but I would try a couple of weeks at least and see if there is improvement.
Heres a link if you wish to read more about it:

http://www.naturalnews.com/024685_oregano_oil_of.html

Last edited:
Have you tried any Sulfa antibiotics yet? Read that is more effective if it is (name blank) stinky eye. But like mine none that are with her got sick so kind of rules out a virus/bacteria (one would think). But it seems odd that it would be a foreign object in both eyes. Not to say it couldn't/hasn't happened before.

Please keep us posted. I'm personally interested in hearing what happens.

Back
Top Bottom