Help please for my chicken

HennyPenny2019

Crowing
Nov 23, 2018
West Virginia
I have a 4yr old, sweet as can be hen who suddenly started acting unwell. On closer inspection I discovered an open sore (for lack of a better description) about 1.5” below her vent and it was covered in tiny maggots. I sat her in the garage sink with warm water began washing them all out. I have trimmed some feathers for easier access and put Clotrmazole and Betamethazone Dipropionate (best I had on hand) it seemed to give her relief. She is in the garage so no flies can get her. Is there more I can do? We have no vets who treat chickens.

I'm so sorry your hen is unwell! That's awesome that you caught that and are helping her.

Next time you have an issue, or if you want more folks to comment, try putting things like this in the Emergency Forum. Hopefully a moderator will move it for you?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures.10/

But anyway, sounds like Flystrike to me. If you do a search on this site, a number of threads will come up that can help you and give more information. Also, there may be an Article about it.

I'm not an expert in flystrike myself, but the info is on here. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom