HELP PLEASE HELP

I'm sorry everyone for my disrespectful behavior,you see before my duck died it had eggs that were about to hatch in a couple of days but now that she's dead I don't know what to do with the eggs which made me upset about the situation...their are also other personal stuff that are interfearing with my life but this event had hit me hard which had made go to that point where I had to blame other people but I'm sorry...some of you asked me why I didn't call a vet, well I am a foreigner and not from this specific country which makes it hard for me to find a vet...once again I am sorry everyone for saying bad things about the community and thank you everyone for supporting me on this ...hope we get cool

Hey littleduckguy I am also so very sorry to hear about your duck :(

I ummed and ahhed about whether to reply to your post and decided that I also need to defend BYC members.

I understand that you are feeling a need to lash out and losing your much loved duck in such circumstances would be very upsetting.

However, as mentioned by others, the members of BYC all have responsibilities of their own which they may have been tending to and time zones mean that some of us were sleeping.

BYC members are anything but selfish.  If your post has been viewed but not answered it is more likely because the viewer does not know the answer to your question.  For example, I may have viewed it but I have no experience with ducks or predator injuries and would not have been able to help.

Also, just a tip, unlike a Vet visit, we are not able to see your duck and need as much information as possible to form a picture of what the issue is and I see that Maxman2000x came back to you with questions 5 mins after your original post.

If your original post had contained more information someone may have been able to help sooner.

As mentioned, I am truly sorry for your loss and the grief you are going through but please do not blame BYC.  As suggested, your anger may be better directed at the owner of the dogs and depending on the circumstances of the attack, you may need to assess your ‘security’ to ensure that it does not happen again.
[/quoandI know I'm sorry its just that the anger that got into me got me saying things to the wrong people but thank you for the love and care and

Just ain't nothin' worse than a dead duck.

Do you know who owns the dogs?
yes and right now I am in the process of suing the people because this isint just the first time this had happened to me with the exact same people

Hey littleduckguy

As I said, I understand and that is now water under the bridge … hopefully BYC can help with your current predicament.

Unfortunately, as I mentioned, I have no experience with ducks and I am not sure how long duck eggs can be left unattended by mumma duck but hopefully someone else can answer this for you.

If the time frame is still good and you do not have access to an incubator, you may be able to put them into a make-shift ‘incubator’ and at least save her babies.

If you can tell us how long the eggs were under mumma duck and/or how long they had to go until hatch day; this would definitely help those more experienced. Also, how long have they been unattended? Where are they and what is the approximate ambient temperature they have been in while unattended?

I did some research for you and found a thread on BYC with suggestions for possibly saving the eggs:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/514726/my-mother-duck-just-died-today-can-i-save-the-eggs

Some suggestions were to try and borrow an incubator; get a heating pad and wrap eggs in there with a thermometer to see if it is the right temp; wrap them in a lightly damp wash cloth (that you keep rewetting) for humidity and then wrap the whole thing in a blanket to keep the heat in; maybe a heat lamp close enough to keep them warm but not cook them (turn them).

A good post on that thread was, if they did not get too cold:

You might be able to save 'em. I had the same thing happen to my ducks. Well, one died, and the other one went off the nest because off too much going on. But get yourself a small flashlight, and use it to candle the eggs from the wide end. If you see a developed embryo that's still moving, you've got viable eggs. Then just put the eggs on some warm wet towels inside a styrofoam cooler and put a light over it. You'll need to use a thermometer to make sure that it's at 100 degrees. Then just let 'em go, and keep checking periodically (every couple of days?) with your flashlight to candle them and make sure they're still alive. I dithered about whether I'd get an incubator or not over the last few days. I kept the eggs in my bathroom where it's nice and humid and I had a big floor lamp with a 75 watt flood light that I shone on them, and put a 89 garden thermometer by them to measure the warmth of the eggs. They were still moving nicely when I took them out and put them in a real incubator.

It is not too late to save the eggs. It takes a few to several hours for them to get cool enough to die.
I did some research for you and found a thread on BYC with suggestions for possibly saving the eggs:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/514726/my-mother-duck-just-died-today-can-i-save-the-eggs

Some suggestions were to try and borrow an incubator; get a heating pad and wrap eggs in there with a thermometer to see if it is the right temp; wrap them in a lightly damp wash cloth (that you keep rewetting) for humidity and then wrap the whole thing in a blanket to keep the heat in; maybe a heat lamp close enough to keep them warm but not cook them (turn them).

A good post on that thread was, if they did not get too cold:

You might be able to save 'em. I had the same thing happen to my ducks. Well, one died, and the other one went off the nest because off too much going on. But get yourself a small flashlight, and use it to candle the eggs from the wide end. If you see a developed embryo that's still moving, you've got viable eggs. Then just put the eggs on some warm wet towels inside a styrofoam cooler and put a light over it. You'll need to use a thermometer to make sure that it's at 100 degrees. Then just let 'em go, and keep checking periodically (every couple of days?) with your flashlight to candle them and make sure they're still alive. I dithered about whether I'd get an incubator or not over the last few days. I kept the eggs in my bathroom where it's nice and humid and I had a big floor lamp with a 75 watt flood light that I shone on them, and put a 89 garden thermometer by them to measure the warmth of the eggs. They were still moving nicely when I took them out and put them in a real incubator.
Great suggestions! It is not too late to save the eggs. It takes a few to several hours for them to get cool enough to die. At lest gather them and put them in a warm towel to keep them from losing more heat until you can get an alternate arrangement set up. Head over to either the hatching forum or the duck forum for help. Good luck!

I'm so sorry about your duck. :hugs  There was probably nothing you could have done to save it if it died so quickly after the attack. From your description, it sounds like the dogs may have broken the duck's neck. If it wasn't that, it may have been shock that killed it. 

It is not that the members on this site were uninterested in helping you, but many are busy during the day at jobs or taking care of their own animals. Those that saw your post may not have known what to tell you. If you have a little patience, you will find there is a wealth of information that is shared here and many members willing to share and help as much as they can.

While it is too late for your duck today, you can start preparing yourself to be ready to handle the next emergency situation like a pro. Read the other threads in this section to find out what to do next time and prepare an emergency animal medical kit to keep on hand. Keep in mind that any attack or injury will likely cause shock, so be sure to keep the injured animal warm while you are researching the other steps you should take.

Although these aren't the best circumstances to join us here, we are still glad that you did join us. Welcome!
[/qSABER(^_^)OMG THANK YOU SO MUCH YOUR A LIFE SABER

I did some research for you and found a thread on BYC with suggestions for possibly saving the eggs: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/514726/my-mother-duck-just-died-today-can-i-save-the-eggs Some suggestions were to try and borrow an incubator; get a heating pad and wrap eggs in there with a thermometer to see if it is the right temp; wrap them in a lightly damp wash cloth (that you keep rewetting) for humidity and then wrap the whole thing in a blanket to keep the heat in; maybe a heat lamp close enough to keep them warm but not cook them (turn them). A good post on that thread was, if they did not get too cold: You might be able to save 'em. I had the same thing happen to my ducks. Well, one died, and the other one went off the nest because off too much going on. But get yourself a small flashlight, and use it to candle the eggs from the wide end. If you see a developed embryo that's still moving, you've got viable eggs. Then just put the eggs on some warm wet towels inside a styrofoam cooler and put a light over it. You'll need to use a thermometer to make sure that it's at 100 degrees. Then just let 'em go, and keep checking periodically (every couple of days?) with your flashlight to candle them and make sure they're still alive. I dithered about whether I'd get an incubator or not over the last few days. I kept the eggs in my bathroom where it's nice and humid and I had a big floor lamp with a 75 watt flood light that I shone on them, and put a 89 garden thermometer by them to measure the warmth of the eggs. They were still moving nicely when I took them out and put them in a real incubator.
thank you so much

thank you so much

You are welcome! :)

Please let us know what you decide to do and if you manage to save them.

Good luck
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom